Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello, any advice would be geat :)

Spartacus

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Sarah
I have a new axolotyl. Whilst I was setting everything up, I didnt have the internet to properly research. My tank isnt a very suitable size, for a young axolotyl it is but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the average rate they grow at?
I'm a poor student and just wondering how long a small tank will suffice for
My axie is approximately between 5-10cms
The tank is 14 litres, wider than it is high.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum. It is a good thing you found this site just in time then.

You might like to post all your questions under the appropriate forum heading. List all your questions clearly. As this is a 'welcome and intro' section, questions may not end up answered if you post them here.

However, to give you a quick overview, here are some links which i think you can benefit greatly from. It covers all the basics.

http://www.axolotl.org/

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml

Cheers

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Sarah,

14 liters is tiny. I am not sure it is big enough for your axolotl now. If your axolotl is really still a larva and looks like it has enough room in that tank, you will have a maximum of about 2 months before you need something bigger.

As a student, it would be best to make a one-time purchase instead of continually buying next-bigger tanks. You need to get a tank that is at least 80 cm long. That will be enough to house an adult axolotl.

Check ebay but also aquarium forums, newspaper classified ads, etc. for an inexpensive aquarium. Unfortunately, the initial investment for an aquarium is usually kind of pricey. Once you have the tank and a filter, though, things settle down and you can just enjoy your pet.

Good luck to you,

-Eva

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Sarah,

If you go the full price retail way you are looking at upwards of $250 NZD, for a 3ft (160L) tank, suitable filter and some hides/caves a few plants and a good quality water testing kit. Have a look in the gallery there are some great setups there that will give you some ideas.

"Trade Me" or "the Loot" usually list everything you will need at much more affordable prices.

Growth rates vary according to a variety of factors but it is safe to say your axolot wil out grow a 14L tank before you know it.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!