Worm advice

Jenksie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My axolotl is currently growing his back legs and is feasting on a diet of bloodworms. When he gets big enough i plan on feeding him larger worms such as earth worms or similar.

I plan on setting up a small wormery to guarantee and healthy supply of the creatures but thats something ive never done before.

Can anyone offer advice on this? Should i use regular earthworms or are there better/more suitable types? Should i buy a ready made wormery or can they be made easily? I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of a good guide and if possible a UK supplier of the right type of worm to get me started

Many thanks

Have a read through the worm section of the forum (yes, there really is a worm section!).
http://www.caudata.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17

You should find a number of threads regarding worm cultures and the pros and cons of different varieties.

In a nut shell:

- Only compost worms can be easily cultured. Dendrobaena are the most commonly available type in the UK.
- Lob worms (Lumbricus terrestris) breed slowly and do not adapt well to compost bins.
- Not all compost worms are readily taken by amphibians. Nearly all of the commercially available compost worms produce some degree of noxious gunk when attacked or chopped.

Have a look around http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk for advice on culturing worms.

My axolotl didn't like worms for the first year I got her (she's about 10 years old and had only ever been fed bloodworm or Axolotl food) but I tried her on a few of the worms in my wormery and she loves them now. Maybe the huge worms I got from a fishing place were too big and scary. LOL

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back