Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander--doing research and seeking advice

dewbert

Reaction score
Hi folks--
This is my first post on this forum. I've got some experience with reptiles (leopard gecko, bearded dragon and red footed tortoises), but I've never kept an amphibian before.

I'm considering purchasing a Tiger Salamander as a family pet and I thought I'd ask this group for a little advice.

Here are my assumptions:
1. A Tiger Salamander is a fairly hardy choice.
2. It can stay in the cooler side of my reptile room where the daytime temps never get above about 75 F and there's a limited amount of ambient light during daytime hours.
3. I can keep one adult in a 10 gal aquarium with organic top soil as a substrate and regular misting to keep the humidity up.
4. I can feed it primarily earthworms, but would also mix up the diet with wax worms or crickets from time to time.
5. Although it shouldn't be handled on a regular basis, it's OK to get it out from time to time to be handled with washed and still wet hands.

How am I doing with those?

Here are my questions:
1. Should I be considering another type of salamander, or is the tiger my best choice given my assumptions above?
2. Where should I look to purchase one? I'm in central Indiana, USA and haven't seen any tiger salamanders in our local pet shops.
3. Are there other factors that I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
75F is around the top end of a tiger salamanders comfort zone. If you mean to say that it will on average be 75F then I would say this is too high as a long term temperature (high 70s would potentially be lethal). Reptiles and temperate amphibians are difficult to accommodate in the same room.

In the wild they would experience seasonal temperature ranges from ~30F - 70F.

Have a read of the tiger sal care sheet:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would echo what MArk said regarding temperature - not just for tigers but for all sals in general. Tigers are an excellent choice for someone new to keeping caudates. The rest of your assumptions are fine with the exception of humidity. The tank is misted to maintain a moist substrate, not to increase humidity. The tank top should be wire mesh or some other very permeable material to allow for adequate ventillation - not a glass/plexiglass top. When handling, I use dechlorinated water or Poland Spring water.

You will not find tigers for sale in Indiana in pet stores or herp shows (e.g., Midwest Herp shows in Indy every other month)- it is illegal there to buy or sell native amphibians. Here are the IN DNR regs: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3328.htm.

You'll notice that there are provisions for legal collection of 4 or less animals. Although I can't advocate collection, tigers do not readily breed in captivity so cb animals are not an option.....at least in the US.

dewbert

Reaction score
Thanks, folks. This is all GREAT information! Are there other types of salamanders that you might suggest for a beginner? ...something that is legal to buy in Indiana, that is.

(Size of enclosure will probably start with a 10 gal and not ever go bigger than a 20 gal. Temps will average 65-75 with about 68 or so as an average.)

pete

Reaction score
I think you could consider several species in Ambystoma if you like Tigers. You may also want to check out Fire salamanders (I'm assuming that you're not interested in aquatics). The only big concern with a Tiger is that most animals are wild-caught (wc). If you live in Indiana, you can probably try to catch your own. Now is the time, or at least you may be able to find some eggs/larvae. Either way, Tigers can be fun salamander for the beginner.

EmeraldExotics

Reaction score
I have larvae from spotted sals. I like the look of them and they seem to be on par with marbles... Just some thoughts...

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, folks. This is all GREAT information! Are there other types of salamanders that you might suggest for a beginner? ...something that is legal to buy in Indiana, that is.

(Size of enclosure will probably start with a 10 gal and not ever go bigger than a 20 gal. Temps will average 65-75 with about 68 or so as an average.)
I wouldn't purchase from a pet store - animals (though perhaps 'legal') are often wc and generally are in poor health and maintained improperly. As you live in central Indiana, venture over to the Midwest Reptile Show: http://www.midwestreptile.com/welcome.html. There are usually a couple of breeders there who specialize in amphibs - cb animals. Although most animals for sale are anurans, I have seen aquatic and semi-aquatic newts for sale. For terrestrial, have seen Salamandra sp. Speak with the breeders about their animals, care, temps, etc. to see if there may be a match for you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1