Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: HELP! 100+ babies have cotton wool fungus and are dying!!!!!

AxieMama

Reaction score
HELP!!!! I have become an accidental mama but love each and every one of my babies! They are around 8 weeks old and range in size from around 65mm to 20mm, and there are over 100 of them.

They are fed live blackworm and on Wednesday the new batch I picked up from the pet store didn't look too good, some were dead. I was desperate as the delivery had been delayed by 4 days and I had been trying to get them eat frozen brine shrimp to no avail. I picked out what live worms I could rinsed them and threw the rest.

2 days later I noticed a few babies had this kind of fungus on their little legs, the next morning half the tank did!! :eek: I treated the water with Tri Sulfa Tablets, but they are starting to die!!! Each day I am losing more and more :(

WHAT SHOULD I DO???? Salt bath? Put them in the fridge? HELP!!!!!!!!!

Have I killed my babies by feeding them sick worms? I'll never forgive myself!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Salt baths are best for treating fungus. If you haven't read it already, a guide to salt bathing axolotls can be found here.

Will you able to fit them all in the fridge? Bear in mind that you will also need to keep extra water in the fridge to use not only for the daily water changes, but also the salt baths. If you can keep the water cool enough, fridging may not be necessary.

Are you able to post a photo of the affected larvae?

AxieMama

Reaction score
THANK YOU for your reply.
OK, they are in the fridge.
Here is a pic of one of the most recent ones who didn't make it
The fungus seems to be mainly on their legs rather than their gills - it is very light and fluffy and in most cases easy to pick off although one of them lost a leg when I attempted to remove the fungus, so I won't be doing that again. :(
All up, I have lost 18 in the last 48hrs!

AxieMama

Reaction score
WOOPS! Pic might help!

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 4,529

AxieMama

Reaction score
Here are the rest of them in their salt bath

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,599
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1