Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Boiling Wood?

EmbryH

Reaction score
Hey all. I've had my axie Godric for about a year now, and recently moved him from a 10gal to a 20gal. Since he had more space, I bought him a wooden log (I think it might be mopani?).

When I got the log, I soaked it for a few hours (clearly that wasn't long enough) before putting it in the tank, and of course the tannins went crazy and the white fuzzy fungus started to appear on the log, clogged up my filter, and was basically very frustrating. I took the log out and it's been sitting dry for about a week now.

My water has finally cleared up (took long enough, even though I did multiple water changes...) and now I want to put the log back in, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Should I boil it? And if so, for how long and such? Will that keep the gross fungus from coming back?

If all goes well I'll get you guys some pictures! :)

Moobear2010

Reaction score
I did the same boiled it and still fungus grew so i just called it a bad job and got two terracotta plant pots haha :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353017591.294183.jpg
Tht was with logs

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353017621.288689.jpg
Now u see pots lol xx
Just thought i would contribute x

EmbryH

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Your tank and axies look beautiful :)

I boiled mine. Hopefully it'll keep the fungus from coming back. If not, I'll boil it more. At least the tannins aren't turning my water orange anymore.

daedae

Reaction score
The wood is going to continue to leak tannins for a long time. You can soak the wood for a period of weeks, changing it when the the water gets too brown, or boil it over and over. Tannins are harmless, so all they do is muck it up a bit, and most of the fungus that grows on the logs is harmless as well. Most logs will go through a fungal 'bloom' cycle where the fungus will grow, die then pop up some time later, and eventually it will stop popping up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1