Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this fungus or something else? pics

layna

Reaction score
Hi, i woke up yesterday morning and found an axie dead. Due to it being only a few weeks old i put it down to nature.

I checked the rest of the others and they were all fine and swimming, however ive come home from work today to find another baby 'dead'.

But the thing is, it still has black eyes and is straight (they usually go white and curled) but its got this MASSIVE what appears to be, fungus ball all over its tail.

I really need help as they all share one tank and i dont want this effecting any more babies!

im waiting for the camera battery to charge to upload a pic

:confused:

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's not unusual for dead larvae to fungus over surprisingly quickly.

What kind of tank are you keeping them in? What kind of cleaning regimen do you have?

layna

Reaction score
Uh oh, just took everything out of the tank to get a clear look, and found another one but with no fungus :/

my nitrate and nitrite readings arent great but three dying in two days? There not that high!

DSC03793.jpg DSC03795.jpg

layna

Reaction score
Erm there in a tank big enough for the tiny little things, and i suck up all the dirt every day and do around 50% water change every two to three days, i just cant seem to bring the nitrate and nitrite down to a level im happy with but its not off the radar :/ any tips?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you're keeping them in small tubs, you'll need to do 100% water changes daily. I imagine your ammonia is through the roof, and that's what's causing your deaths.

You should rotate between two tubs, so you can wash the 'slime' out of one. It will build up on the surface of the tub and needs to be rubbed off.

layna

Reaction score
They are not in tubs theyre in a tank altogether.
I've got test strips, and the nitrate/nitrite are high but not the pinkest it can go, and they have a sponge filter from my cycled tank to get the good bacteria
They have around 3" of water and like I say I syphon out the gunk every day

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
If the nitrate and nitrite readings are so high, you really need to do bigger and more frequent water changes. How big are the larvae? Approx. how many are in the tank, how big is their tank? and what are you feeding them? Sorry for all the questions, but hopefully we may be able to help .

layna

Reaction score
They are 4 weeks old (they have their leg stubbs now) They have daphnia in the tank to eat and there are now 12 left. The tank i would say is around 1 and a half foot by 1 foot.
They have lots of plants in there and i do daily cleaning.
Im starting to think it was the pond water i was using (having tested pond and tap) and ive now changed them to tap water in the hope it reduces.
If it helps i can upload a pic of their tank when i get home?

AxieMama

Reaction score
When they're still so small it's better to keep them in individual containers wih 100% water changes daily...they'll start chomping on each other soon...we're any of the deceased missing any bits? I kept mine in small plastic takeaway type containers that I bought from a $2 shop, 6 for $2.

layna

Reaction score
Ill try to source some plastic tubs then.

No they didnt have parts missing, i think it was becuase i was using pond water.

I now have a new problem in that i cant source any daphnia and trying to feed then choped up frozen bloodworm is a nightmare, they are scared of it!

I dont know much about different types of worm, or what type is best at 4 weeks old?

wandering

Reaction score
Hi, just an idea but I recently had one just at the back leg bud stage that couldn't quite manage bloodworm. I put dapnia in the tank but there were some that died and messed up the tank. I tried white worm that I culture for my fish. Great! They wriggle about at the bottom and are irresistible to an axolotl baby. And they can be left there all day until the next feed and clean. Ten days later and now its taking frozen bloodworm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kerry M

Reaction score
Hi

I agree with AxieMama, the best thing that you can do is purchase takeaway containers from the supermarket and keep them individually. That way their gills will remain long and feathery. If they are housed together they will munch on each others gills and they don't regenerate like the limbs. I had 130 individual containers when mine were small, it took four hours to change water and scrub each one out. It won't be difficult at all with twelve. And you will be very happy when they grow up to be beautiful. Mine are now 3.5 months and are living back together. At about 2.5 months they started jumping so I needed to create a barrier around the containers. It was an amusing site.

Good luck with your little ones. They really are great creatures to raise.

Cheers
Kerry

Kerry M

Reaction score
Live black worms are great. You just need to rinse them daily with cold aged water. And they need to be kept in the fridge. My 3.5 month olds are still loving them. Mine were never interested in the frozen bloodworm, it just sat there waiting to be eaten, they didn't want to bite :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1