Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Is this fungus?

EmbryH

Reaction score
So last night I checked on Godric, my axie, and noticed that he had this white raggedy substance on the underside of his tail.

I've dealt with fungus before, but this doesn't look like any fungus I've ever seen. I checked on him again this morning and the strange white stuff seemed less dense, and a spot of it that had been on his side in the night was gone. It didn't leave any kind of wound or mark behind, and all fungus I've dealt with leaves a wound when it goes.

His tank is in good condition, though I need to get a new water testing kit, otherwise his water is clear and cold. I've kept feces out of his water, and I'm just really baffled as to how he would get a fungus. He's always been very happy and healthy.

Here are the pictures that I took last night. The strange substance is at the base of his tail. He's not swollen anywhere, nor has he been acting strangely; he's actually been very good lately.

Edit: I should also note that this literally popped up overnight. He was normal one day, and the next night it was like this...

Pics of his tail, and him in general.

embryh-albums-godric-picture25915-img-1441.jpg
embryh-albums-godric-picture25914-what.jpg

He seems healthy otherwise, so I'm very confused...
embryh-albums-godric-picture25916-img-1443.jpg
embryh-albums-godric-picture25922-hes-so-beautiful-3.jpg

wandering

Reaction score
Firstly let me say I'm new to keeping axolotls but have kept fish for a long time.

It looks, from the photo, like skin peeling (like sunburn does on you and me!). That location would be consistent with rubbing on the substrate. From what I have read on the forum, you might need to give your ammonia etc levels a quick check. Wouldn't hurt anyway. Think I'll do mine and then do my water changes before I slump for the evening :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes scrapes can be fungus-y. If it clears up on its own, I wouldn't sweat it.

EmbryH

Reaction score
Ok, he's still acting normally and it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse; better if anything.

I just tested the ph, ammonia, and nitrite levels in his tank and they're all very good. One of my friends said sometimes they just get a little "gunk" but it clears up in a day or so.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I suppose I shouldn't be too worried?

Thanks for the advice, guys :)

wandering

Reaction score
Well one of my tanks had a nitrite reading so thanks for posting the thread and prompting me to practice what I preach! :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!