Illness/Sickness: 1st time byb axie has been so sick need some advice

Sherleelee

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Everyone,

I have not posted here in ages!!!! Anyway my axie Bubbles has gotten quite sick due to the aussie heat, heating his tank to around 23-25 degree's (Celsius) He has white fungus all over him and is very very skinny and has lost a lot of his once huge feathery gills.. I read on this website that I should give him a salt bath. 2 days ago I put him in a salt bath for 10 mins then put him in the fridge with the fridge set at 6 degrees. The 1st day he did great and we gave him some sausage mince ( we normally never do this, we feed him cod worms but we had none available last night so we thought we would treat him) He loved the mince and ate a bit, I know they normally don't eat much while being in the fridge so I was not worried. We then put him in a new clean water and put him back in the fridge. This morning when I went to check on him my heart sank and I thought he was dead because he was fully curled in himself his tail was doing a full loop and a bit into himself and he was hunched to the side, I thought he had died. I pulled the container out and he moved around and gulped some air but stayed in the curled position, now I have looked all over the net and cannot see why he would have done it so im wondering if you all can help. The fungus is clearing up a bit but yea im very worried he is my baby I have had him almost 2 years now. The tank I kept him in was a 60L filtered. And the salt baths im giving him are pre done and put in the fridge so there the same temp same with the next day of clean water. Am I doing the right thing? I would post pictures but I am at work at the moment if he is still in the position when I get home I will put a photo on.

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly. Is he still doing the same?

Are you keeping him on the same pebbles that are in your pic? I would remove those, as they're an impaction hazard.

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly. Is he still doing the same?

Are you keeping him on the same pebbles that are in your pic? I would remove those, as they're an impaction hazard.

Hi thanks for the reply, no when I got home from work he was normal looking not so curled. And as for the stones in my DP I changed them to sand over a year ago :) those stones are now used in my potted plants hahah!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back