Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fungus/Discoloration?

TattmanStache

Reaction score
Hello

I've been observing my Axolotl recently and it seems to have gotten ill just over the past 48 hours or so. I've been scouring this site trying to gather information about fungus and common sickness but I'm just not experienced or confident enough to make a sound judgement on it. I'd greatly appreciate any help, I'm worried about him.

If it is fungus, could someone please provide me a link on how to do a proper salt bath or tea bath? The discoloration is scaring me, as well as the apparent deterioration of one of the gills on the right side of his head.

photo (2).jpg

photo (1).jpg

photo.jpg

TattmanStache

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm just being paranoid as a new owner. In the second image I thought there was a clear problem or fungus on one of his gills?

It could be the new light i bought for his tank playing tricks on me. Just trying to be as cautious as possible!

Tephra

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong.
He is a GFP, isn't he?

snuggly time

Reaction score
I've had the same worry with my leucistic. He had a white patch at the top of his gill which I thought could be fungus but couldn't see it clearly enough to tell. I decided it's just his gills losing colour because I think he's a bit stressed from the heat wave we're having. If it's white and cottony then it could be fungus. If it looks like his normal gills but slightly whiter then he's probably just lost a bit of colour. Hope this helps and I haven't just babbled on!

Dipsy66

Reaction score
Looks okay to me...have added a shot of mine with fungus on her gill...but I think your little chap is A okay :)

Attachments

• 8 (8).jpg
    8 (8).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 290
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1