P. waltl questions

FatherOfGojira

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Andrew V.
Hi, I recently had my heart set on a Japanese fire belly newt, but then I heard Spanish ribbed newts are mainly aquatic their entire lives! (which I would prefer over a newt with a terrestrial phase :D) So I have a few questions about Spanish ribbed newts...

Would a 10 gallon aquarium be appropriate for 1 newt?

Would they require the tank to have plants in it?

Would fake plants be ok?

Would they want a hiding spot underwater if the tank isn't that heavily planted?

Would sand or pebbles (too big to fit in it's mouth) be a better substrate?

Is there any way to stop a filter that produces a current from producing a current?

Can frozen bloodworms be their main diet?

What's the max temperature they tolerate?

Thank you for any answers you may provide :happy:

I am going to go ahead and number your questions in numerical order.

1. A ten gallon would be perfectly fine for one newt. A pair could be kept in a ten gallon if you kept it up well and did frequent water changes. A pair may be pushing it though.

2. Live plants are not a requirement but help ensure water quality and contribute to a healthy tank. They also require at least some light and that can introduce algae. Fake plants are suitible too. I use both. I have one tank that has exclusively fake plants only and it has been a healthy running tank for 2+ years without any problems.

3. An underwater hiding spot is always nice. A terracotta plant works well. Newts need to have a hiding place available if needed to reduce stress.

4. Sand is better than pebbles because waste can't accumilate in between the grains of sand. Make sure to only use a one inch layer or less of either one. I also think it looks better.

5. To reduce the flow of a filter just put rocks, fake/live plants or other decorations in front of it. You can also point the outflow towards the side of the aquarium.

6. Frozen blood worms can NOT be the staple or main food source of thier diet. That will result in dietary problems. The best staple is earthworms/ chopped nightcrawlers. They are very easy to obtain. You can obtain them from a chemical free area by digging them up or at a local bait shop. Do not get the compost or leaf worms, these are often red wigglers and newts dont like to eat those because the produce noxious secretions when touched, bitten, or chopped.

7. I would say thier max temp would be 72-75. Someone can correct me on this, as I am not positive. You should always try to keep and newt or salamander's cage temperature 70 or lower though.

Hi again, (sorry for posting twice in-a-row but I couldn't find out how you can edit a post :() I have 2 more questions:

1. How long will it take to cycle a tank with fake plants?

2. Can a fan keep an aquarium cool just by blowing on the side of the tank or would it need to be blowing directly into the tank?

Thanks for any info you may provide :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back