Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Supplement raises Poison Frog Egg Output & Tadpole Survival

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tulane University researchers have published an important study concerning captive frog nutrition that should be of interest to all amphibian and reptile keepers. A colony of Strawberry Poison Frogs (Oophaga pumilio) was maintained on a diet comprised of fruit flies. When carotenoids were added to the fruit fly diet, the frogs produced significantly more eggs, and a greater number of tadpoles survived through metamorphosis. The Vitamin A deficiency found among some of the animals was also reversed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Nutritional deficiencies are common in both private and public amphibian collections, partly because of the limited dietary variety we are able to provide. Adding carotenoids (which are pigments produced by plants) to the diet of feeder insects may be a simple means of improving health and reproductive output – especially important in these times of unprecedented amphibian declines. Please see also the links under “Further Reading” for other articles I’ve written on supplementing cricket diets with carotenoids and Vitamin A deficiency in frogs. R[/FONT]ead the rest of this article here Frog Diets: Supplement Raises Poison Frog Egg Output & Tadpole Survival
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
One of the scientists who did that study is Justin Yeager. Justin grew up in Ephrata Pa. and used to be a member of Caudata.org.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
One of the scientists who did that study is Justin Yeager. Justin grew up in Ephrata Pa. and used to be a member of Caudata.org.

I keep crossing paths with Ephratatonians...first Mike Mentzer, then yourself, and now Justin!

I hope all is well, Frank

michael

Reaction score
HI Frank,
Things are pretty good. I've known Justin since he was about 12 years old. He had a good early foundation on breeding amphibians. Here is a picture of him and my youngest son in South America a few years ago.

Attachments

• PICT0655_2.jpg
    PICT0655_2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 535

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
HI Frank,
Things are pretty good. I've known Justin since he was about 12 years old. He had a good early foundation on breeding amphibians. Here is a picture of him and my youngest son in South America a few years ago.

Nice!...lions being tried as jaguar control? :)

michael

Reaction score
I think it was a circus and the guys said "Can we play with those lion cubs if we give you a couple bucks?"

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
I think it was a circus and the guys said "Can we play with those lion cubs if we give you a couple bucks?"

Good for them...not many chances for that! A pet store on long island years ago was charging a few bucks for little kids to "wrestle with the bear cat"..it was an adult bintourang! A friend said her kids did it, and that kids and bintourang seemed to enjoy...bintourang exhibits generally bear their scent long after the animals are gone..maybe they buried clothes..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!