Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids

erfus

Reaction score
PS, the pictured animals look very healthy. Out of interest, were they easier to rear than non-hybrids?

Hello, parents are wc, ​​adult newts bought them so I have no experience with the species paramesotriton but eat well and are always healthy, never gave me problems. Hybrid juveniles are a little shy and slow.

Jesper

Reaction score
I don't know, I do not think nature is of a very stable nature;)

It is impossible to try to stop evolution...It is part of nature.
The question is how you select animals for breeding... Most ppl do not have the heart to breed for viability, nature is cruel. Some breed for colour or pattern. Most breed everything, thinking no change has taken place... I.e. we breed the genes that would be eliminated by selection pressure, this will change colour, behaviour, morphology etc over time... All for the worse seen from their functionality in their natural niche. One cannot preserve a species without access to the selection mechanisms of their natural niche

Species do cross geographical borders and cross-breed. Species are just an old tired biological concept to try to differentiate animal genotypes and phenotypes on a timeline. It is an abstract division of animals to ease human understanding of evolution. Genotype and phenotype transitions are not abrupt but smooth with many animals caught between our simplifications. Think biological traits and normal distribution. Species is not absolute just a tool, an average with a standard deviation and confidence interval.

If two very different animals can breed, will breed and produce fitter offspring than two similar animals, then that offspring will prevail. This is nature. Is this not the process we should idealize..

Then again as Mark says, it all depends on why you want to breed animals. Many want a pet with a good temperament, interesting behaviour and nice colours for their enjoyment. That is fine. I am one of those people. But don't trick yourself into thinking that this corresponds with preserving a species:p

erfus

Reaction score
Hi all. Update the post with new photos. The small newts begin to enter the water after a few months in terrestrial phase.

A greeting.

Attachments

• DSC_0133.jpg
    DSC_0133.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 658
  • DSC_0127.jpg
    DSC_0127.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 727
  • DSC_0111.jpg
    DSC_0111.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 599
  • DSC_0147.jpg
    DSC_0147.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,039
  • DSC_0139.jpg
    DSC_0139.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC_0123.jpg
    DSC_0123.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 638
  • DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 590
  • DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0143.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 894

kat25

Reaction score
What nice looking little newts you have there! They look healthy and just as cute to me as my non hybrid newt does!

velasco13000

Reaction score
wow they look amazing. Did you raise these yourself? do they appear to have any health issues because of the hybrid? or possibly not being able to reproduce...

Alex Tsukanov

Reaction score
I raise them myself.

This hybrid is very hardy! All six individuals are still alive! (Despite what some have gone through laboratory work in Sank-Petersburg). Have a good appetite and growing well.

I do not know about the offspring (they probably sterile), maybe we will fix them in alcohol soon.

velasco13000

Reaction score
very interesting. Which parent was which? was the dad honkonensis and the mom chinensis? And how long did it take for them to breed? It seems kind of weird possibly like a marm breeding with a dobro..i wonder how the offspring would look...hmmm. I have a 2.1 group of chinensis and a 1.1 group of honkonensis. Was breeding hard to achieve? do you have pictures of their set up? Thanks :))

shnabo

Reaction score
I find this topic very interesting and love reading people's different stances on it and their reasoning. I have a female hongkongensis that lives with my chinensis, I noticed him making moves on her. I was curious as to whether or not they would breed, I guess we'll see.

shnabo

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the two of them

Attachments

• IMG_6009.jpg
    IMG_6009.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 473

Niels D

Reaction score
I don't know how the hybrids ended up, but if you ask me I wouldn't make more of those muggles no matter how cute they look. Even if you distribute them as a hybrid you can't guarantee that the next owners won't try to sell them as "pure bloods". We have enough endescribed Paramesotriton species already.

shnabo

Reaction score
I ended up separating them. I didn't want to stress either of them unnecessarily. They were living harmoniously but the chinensis has since gotten quite aggressive due to the cold.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1