Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: I need help with my fire bellied newts!

billybong60

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got two Chinese fire belly Newts, and they aren't eating. I know it might be stress, but I wanted to make sure.

Also one of them is laying eggs, so that could be the reason?

I'm not too sure about the feeding times, because they won't eat of my tweezers, but they east when I'm not looking.

Any help is accepted!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How long have you had them? What is their setup like? What kind of food are you offering?

billybong60

Reaction score
I've had them for about a week, I've got them in a medium tank that's got dechloronised water in, with rocks and plants. I feed them blood worms, and I tried to feed them crickets but they wouldn't accept them.

I think that they do eat sometimes when I'm not looking, because they're very shy.

:confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Give them some time to settle in. Try live food like little earthworms, or earthworm chunks.

This species is pretty notorious for being imported in terrible conditions, and then sold to unsuspecting buyers when they're in terrible shape. Sometimes it's a long road to get them back to healthy.

billybong60

Reaction score
Thanks very much! I think they're enjoying it more in the tank, I put a lot of leaves in there and more places to hide. And now I definitely know that they'r eating because I saw them eat!

Thanks so much man, you're the best!

Will/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!