Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eastern Newt Larvae!!? (Red-Spotted-Newt)

tye167

Reaction score
Hi i have two eastern newt larvae its been like the six day since theve been born. i new to this newt thing and ive read that newt larvae eat microworms and brineshrimp and stuff like that but i am unable to get any of those because i cant order online cuz im too young im only 16 and because no store around me has those i even went to the petshop and they didnt have them. i only have bloodworm packets dead, frozen bloodworms, and newt pellets and the newt larvae wont eat them and one has a bubble on its chest is that normal? they still dont move much but they are alive and wen i tap the tank they swim around but they wont eat and i dont know what to do can anyone help me!!!??? i also change %50 of the water everyday and i have put some mashed up pellets and some dead bloodworms in the small tank but i dont know wat to do!!?
what temperature should i keep them at? what else should i do i litteraly brough newts home set up a tank they layyed eggss the next day and now they hatched and im stuck cuz i dont have live food please help!

Last edited:

meganlangreck

Reaction score
Hopefully you have a local pet store or one in a nearby town? Go to any pet store and look for/ask for Brine Shrimp Eggs. Those are a very common and necessary item for the fish hobby (ours too), any worthy pet store should have them... if they are not in stock have them order them for you and insist you need them NOW. Getting the Brine Shrimp eggs, and hatching them (they take like a day and a half to hatch) is the fastest and surest way out of your predicament at this point. As far as info about hatching Brine Shrimp, harvesting and feeding them to your babies, there is a lot here on this forum as well as the rest of the internet. Hope I have been helpful, congrats on your baby newts, best of luck!

tye167

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! The only thing is the pet store is far away and my parents are both at work the store is closed and i have to leave for school at 6 in the morning so i have no idea what to do is there any other possible solution? thnks for your help

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
You could always go to a local pond with a small net and catch daphnia and other little water creatures.

You should be able to find brine shrimp locally though its very common.

tye167

Reaction score
thanks! im gonna see if i can try to catch anything!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!