Question: Fire belly newt toes

totallyrad

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a few of you may know I got some fire belly newts (I think chinese definitely not jap)
probably 3 days ago and was told they were captive bred but others told me they were probably wild caught even though they said that. anyway, so i have two in a 10 gallon. water is good and clean and about 70 in daytime and cools off 68 in night time.

i was just watching them tonight and doing a water change and feeding when i noticed the smaller one's toes are like a pale white tint. But what's weird is that only his "thumb" is a lighter color on all four legs and feet while the rest of the toes are fine. Is this a sign of illness or something? I didn't notice this until now so I'm not sure if it's always been like that or just happened. I know they were kept in poor conditions at pet store so I've definitely been keeping an eye out for illness or weird behavior. So far this little guy hasn't eaten yet (which i know adjusting to a new home can be stressful so i'll give it a few more days til i start worrying) while the other one has had two small worms and looks plump. They both seem to be acting normal as far as i can tell.

Both of them are definitely a lot more comfortable in the water now and spend more time in the water but mostly they just like to perch on the floating plants.

Aaanyway, sorry to ramble. Just wanted to know if anyone has seen this or knows what it could be. I thought it was pretty unusual. Any thoughts would be appreciated! :]
I would take pictures but my camera sucks and it would just turn out blurry but you can pretty much imagine if just his "thumbs" on all four limbs were a paler color.

That´s perfectly normal, and in fact it´s what it should be like, for H.orientalis.

oh that's awesome :) i'm so glad he's not getting sick. I thought it was deteriorating or something. thanks a lot man.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back