Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raising my first newt eggs....Mesotriton alpestris!

ravenous

Reaction score
Okay I finally got some GREAT pics for everyone to see (if there still is an everyone :lol: ) but I cant size them to fit the forum, I posted a help thread in the pic forum so when that happens I got some great shots!

Reaction score
The pics are great! and something interesting i noticed was that looking back in the thread, your eggs started hatching end of January and look like they are getting ready to morph pretty soon. As compared to my apuanus that bred this year, they started hatching March 5th and about half of them have already morphed. I'm not sure if it is feeding or temp that got mine to grow so much quicker.. how often do you feed yours and what is the usual temp?

ravenous

Reaction score
I have to feed mine everyday cause if I dont, theyll start biting on eachother. I dont know why theyre morphing so slow, but ONE is VERY close. He only has 1 stub on each side of his head and is out of the water alot. So hes right there. Alot of the others feathers are turning black, where as 2 are still a bright blood red color.

ravenous

Reaction score
Got my first morph! He defenatley needs to be posted in this thread. Oddly enough, hes my smallest one. All the other ones are bigger and still have their feathers of various sizes. I hope they morph

Attachments

• smallP6240002.JPG
    smallP6240002.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 426

ravenous

Reaction score
Man... a month after the first morph I finally had a second one last week, and now another one has morphed.

I think I figured out the secret to getting them to morph. Keep it dark, keep it cool, keep the water calm and still.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1