Question: Salmon pellets

They appear to be the same pellet that AGSC uses (Rangen brand).

I believe the owner of Edsflymeat is a member on the forum here, although he doesn't make it known. So perhaps he can answer the question for you.

If these are the Rangen pellets (the only ones I have used) then yes they are an excellent complete food for axolotls and I highly recommend them.

They are Rangen pellets. I just contacted edsflymeat a few weeks ago on them. The folks at Rangen are actually who referred me to edsflymeat since I didn't want to buy a 50 pound box from them. Michael Shrom, who is also a member here, sells them as well.

Thanks!!! I will try them... just another question... how many pellets do you feed your axies?

Use the 15 minute rule a few times a week.

Thanks!!! I guess this is to let them eat for 15 minutes, and everything they didnt eat, take it away, right???
sorry about my english by the way

Kind of. You feed them as many as they will eat in 15 minutes, no more. Don't just throw a bunch of pellets in unless you are sure they will all be eaten in a few minutes.

Hi!!!

This is an old thread, but wanted to be sure!!! I got the small pellets (3 mm) and currently have 2 female axies, the breeder told me they are 5 months old and their sizes are 17.5 and 16.5 cms. I have been following the 15 minute rule, and I am a little concerned about the amount of pellets they eat!! Just being curiose, I was counting, and they ate 93 pellets (each one). I was reading the feeding routine in the AGSC, and they say that when axies are 1 year old, they feed 3 or 4 times a week no more than 5 big pellets!!
Im concerned as I dont know, but I guess, this is too much and I dont want to overfeed them. Their poo, as you can guess, is really big in quantity, they arent stressed and very healthy.

I know each animal is different, but Im thinking this might be excessive!! They eat pellets twice a week and earthworms once a week?

I feed them in separate containers, but when i feed them worms (3 - 8 each one depending on the size) the big axie turns agressive (wants to eat more?) so I am lost about this.

Could someone help me or share any experiencie?

Thanks in advance!

93 Pellets, in one sitting?

WOW!

I have Pellets which are about the roundness of a Pencil, and I give them 3-6 pellets every 4-6 days.

I find by feeding less, water is easier to manage.

Can you find any pictures of the pellets on a website or something Chels?

Ps. Well done with your new babies!
I hope your dad helps setup a brineshrimp (Sea Monkeys basically) colony so you can feed your new little ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
93 pellets:eek: .....that´s far too much.

They shouldn´t eat no more than 15 pellets (3mm) 3 times a week. Pellets are a very nutricious diet and if an axies eats too much, it will become thick and problems with his liver are probable.

-Tina-

Hi Guys!!! Thanks for the tip....

here is the link:

http://www.shop.edsflymeat.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=74

I think they aren´t really 3 mm, as being soft and not regular or equaly shaped, most of them are the way b00f mentioned, like the diameter of a pencil´s graphite.

I have a little (not that little) earthwor farm, I probably try brineshrimp in future (when I can find good ones).My mom used to have fishes and feed them with this, and they died soon, so I think the quality of them in my town is poor.

Luckyly I havent feed them as much many times, so next feeding time, they will be given less, Im thinking 15 as Callina nicely recomends!!

Should I cut down the number of earthworms too?

Thank you for you helpfull responses!!

Those are just the Rangen salmon food pellets.

Hi Guys!!! Thanks for the tip....

here is the link:

http://www.shop.edsflymeat.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=74

I think they aren´t really 3 mm, as being soft and not regular or equaly shaped, most of them are the way b00f mentioned, like the diameter of a pencil´s graphite.

I have a little (not that little) earthwor farm, I probably try brineshrimp in future (when I can find good ones).My mom used to have fishes and feed them with this, and they died soon, so I think the quality of them in my town is poor.

Luckyly I havent feed them as much many times, so next feeding time, they will be given less, Im thinking 15 as Callina nicely recomends!!

Should I cut down the number of earthworms too?

Thank you for you helpfull responses!!
i feed mine 3 in the morning and 3 in the night

thanks Axolotlgangster!!! what size are your axies?

Does anyone know if these are available anywhere in the UK? Mail order is preferable really

Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back