Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexing Aneides lugubris

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Mature male plethodontids have mental glands.
Mature male plethodontids have papillose cloacal lips [ie rougher in males than females].

By and large in the animal kingdom, males are identified by distinctive features they possess as sexually mature adults. Females are identified by not being sexually mature males [but often the same size or larger]. Among amphibians, mature females will often have eggs or swollen ovaries visible through the abdomen.

otolith

Reaction score
Large mature A. lugubris males will often have much larger, wider heads with well developed glands. They are also generally thinner (at least in wild individuals); the head is typically wider than the body.

This site has numerous pictures that show the differences.

Aneides lugubris - Arboreal Salamander

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Male Aneides of all species have larger heart shaped heads.

Actually this characteristic is extremely subtle in Aneides aeneus and is not a very good indicator like it is in the western species.

Sexing Aneides is much harder than I would have expected from reading the literature, particularly in young animals.

Lugubris

Reaction score
I agree, sexing A. lugubris can be pretty tricky, especially if they are not fully mature. I have two which are about 2 and 3 years old, even though I have had them for over a month I am not sure what sex they are. My plan is to wait for the fast approaching breeding season and check for a mental gland under the chin. Here is a link for sexing caudates, they have a picture of a mental gland near the bottom:

Caudata Culture Articles - Sexing

Also, in the link provided by otolith, there is a picture of a group of A. lugubris estivating (over the picture of the person bleeding). I believe the large salamander in the lower center is a male, as it has a wide, heart-shaped head. This makes me think both of my specimens are female, as they have much more slender heads, although my 2 year old is most likely too young to determine yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!