Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Angel - my little rescue baby.

AmberLouiseT

Reaction score
So, a while ago I rescued Angel from some pretty awful conditions. Since then, the person has been educated and changed his ways, which is great.
When Angel came home with me, he was looking half dead.
He was so underweight and malnourished that his stomach skin was shriveled/wrinkled. He was lethargic, floating on his side - he had gravel in his stomach too. He was an absolute mess.
I genuinely believed he was going to die - but I figured I'd try my very best to save him. By some miracle, he managed to pull through. The first week was tough - he was still barely clinging to life - the second week things started to improve.

After a few months, he's like a completely different axolotl. He's now in with Rey, Kai & Jin and I couldn't be prouder of him.

Some pictures of Angel when he arrived - and his recovery. I hope he will live a long, happy & healthy life with me and my little gang.

Attachments

• Angel1.jpg
    Angel1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 320
  • Angel2.jpg
    Angel2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 279
  • PoorBaby.jpg
    PoorBaby.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Saggy Skin with dents.jpg
    Saggy Skin with dents.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Sick Baby.jpg
    Sick Baby.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 239
  • RECOVERING.jpg
    RECOVERING.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Stomach wrinkles fading.jpg
    Stomach wrinkles fading.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 271

AmberLouiseT

Reaction score
More pictures...

Attachments

• Weight Gain.jpg
    Weight Gain.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Beautiful Angel.jpg
    Beautiful Angel.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Happy Baby.jpg
    Happy Baby.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 410
  • Angel xx.jpg
    Angel xx.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 313
  • 20160826_145645.jpg
    20160826_145645.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 20160826_160517.jpg
    20160826_160517.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 236
  • 20160823_172209.jpg
    20160823_172209.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 242

brightstar34

Reaction score
Oh wow poor thang! At least you were able to save him and that the person is now better educated for the future. He looks so happy and healthy now! Good job!
How did you treat him during the first week?

Takuwan

Reaction score
Thank goodness you were able to save this wee axolotl child!! Great job!

AmberLouiseT

Reaction score
Oh wow poor thang! At least you were able to save him and that the person is now better educated for the future. He looks so happy and healthy now! Good job!
How did you treat him during the first week?

As soon as I bought him home, he was transferred into a 'hospital tank'. The first week was horrific as he kept seeming like he was going to die. He refused any food, I kept trying to coax him to eat every hour or so during the day but he wasn't interested. He just kept floating on his side, being very lifeless and not improving.
I had to put him in the fridge to help him pass the gravel in his stomach, which was a risk considering he was so weak already. After a few days in the fridge, he still hadn't passed the gravel but I decided to move him back into the hospital tank to focus on trying to get him to eat.
Luckily, he started eating tiny bits of chopped worm off the tweezers.... but then HE PUKED IT ALL UP. So, I kept persevering and finally he managed to keep some food down, and after a few more days - he finally pooped out the gravel. After that, it was like someone had flipped a switch. He just started getting better each day.
I'm amazed at how far he's come. He's a little fighter that's for sure.
I love him!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1