Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any ideas for the last bit of decor for my axies' new home?

andreajo

Reaction score
I just got the girls (Artemis and Dr. Piglet) into their new 40 gal from the 20 gal where they had been divided after a fight in which Artemis lost two limbs (which she is now regrowing). They have a few hidey places (the ugly 70's pirate vase and the modern sphere house, plus plants) but I'm thinking I ought to come up with something more, both for visual interest but also to give them a way to get some personal space so no more toes go missing. Any thoughts? I've been looking at the tank setup page, too. Just haven't found that right idea yet. Some pics are the setup, and others are the girls snooping around for pellets as they explore their new digs.

IMG_6451.jpg

IMG_6458 (1).jpg

IMG_6459 (1).jpg

IMG_6478.jpg

IMG_6469.jpg

rbrown

Reaction score
I bought pretty coffee mugs and put them on their sides in the tank for hides and my axolotl loved it. It's a pretty inexpensive way to decorate, you just have to make sure you put them in a place where they'll be stable.

Wysper

Reaction score
I saw a pretty cool idea on a facebook page where someone made a second "floor" to their tank.

Egg crate, with a plant carpet and suction cups to hold it up. Adds another level to explore, as well as breaking line of sight.

I am soooo going to do something similar with my tank when I get a chance to redecorate.

andreajo

Reaction score
I saw a pretty cool idea on a facebook page where someone made a second "floor" to their tank.

Egg crate, with a plant carpet and suction cups to hold it up. Adds another level to explore, as well as breaking line of sight.

I am soooo going to do something similar with my tank when I get a chance to redecorate.

That sounds great! I'll think on ways to do something like that, thanks! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1