Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops orientalis clutch size

N

nimbus2

I'd like to hear from anyone who has bred Cynops orientalis and hear how many eggs were laid. I have yet to have a clutch larger than 40.

Ralf

Reaction score
I bred cynops orientalis. Since there are 7 females in my tank I dont keep track of individual egg-numbers though. The animals do not reproduce each year, however.
Bachhausen reported 120 eggs (April-June) by one female:

BACHHAUSEN, P., 1988: Der Chinesische Zwergmolch-ein dankbarer Pflegling für vollaquatische Urodelenhaltung
elaphe 6 (1998) Heft 1 pp 13-16

N

nimbus2

Thanks for the input Ralf. Since posting that message, she's gone on to lay approximately 65-85 eggs total. I also have another female who began to lay afterward so the numbers are no longer exact.

R

richard

My orientalis breeding pair produce about 12 eggs a year-this year 8 hatched to fruition. I have enough newts now and let them eat surplus eggs. They lay on plastic plants that I separate. I understand that if you have more than one male to a female you get more eggs but I have no experience of this. Does any one try to induce more than one breeding season a year?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!