Any New Information on hellbender breeding?

jelkins

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin Elkins
Does any one have any current information regarding the captive breeding programs for hellbenders? I know one of the U.S. zoos (Chicago?/St. Louis?) has a program in place, but my understanding was that they haven't been successful yet?

Justin

Detroit Zoo is also trying their hand at breeding Cryptobranchids (both Andrias and Cryptobranchus).

Last time I was at the Milwaukee zoo (WI) I saw a juvenile hellbender on display, but I'm not sure if they have a breeding program set up.

Buffalo did it in 1985 according to the old Slavens index...haven't heard of anyone since.

It's not breeding but i do know that some are being raised from wild nests that will later be used in breeding at zoos.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back