Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank Set up

B

brendan

I have 3 baby axolotls, i dont know how old they are but ill shoot for say, 1 month.

They are housed together in a 10 gallon tank, about 18 inch long and about 9 inch wide.

Now when they grow i know they will need a bigger tank and i already have one in mind. a 2 foot (23 inch) long, 1.3 foot (15 inch) wide and 1 foot (11 inch) high. Will this size tank be big enough to house my 3 axies once they out grow their current home?

Also what type of filter would best be suited and what size?

Another thing atm im using small gravel, and at the start my babies used to eat the gravel but since i have trained them to hand feed they rarely touch the gravel. So when i get the new tank should i use.

1. The small gravel
2. Sand
3. Big river stones with sand
4. Other suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

(Message edited by brendan on December 30, 2004)

B

brendan

Sorry i got the measurements wrong on the current tank.

Its 18 inch long, about 14 inch wide.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1