Axolotls Outside

justin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
justin slate
If a garden pond enclosure is stocked with ample food and maintained year-round, is it possible to keep axolotls in them over the winter? The pond does not freeze solid and the axolotls do great in there during the spring and summer.

There are disadvantages to keeping axies in a pond.

Temperature and water quality depends on where you are. Sorry I kknow nowt about Kentucky or it's climate.

I have two that were kept in a pond by their previous owner. I have had them 7 months and would say there only now beginning to recover properly and fatten up.

Pond disadvantagse to list a few:
there outside where you can't see them so often
water may become contaminated by rubbish etc getting blown in
rain may be acidic or very soft water
you may not know if all your axies are feeding correctly
cats and other predators may spy your axies and take a fancy to them (Arwen has a permenant V shaped scar on one of her flanks)
temperature might fall or rise to an extreme without you knowing

It's tempting to put axies in a pond but much riskier than the controlled tank environment we are used to.

The pond is covered with chicken wire, full of macrophyts and ample depth to avoid outside predation. It is also stocked wit feeder fish, amphipods, and daphnia on a regular basis (3X week). They have done great during warmer months, but I have not let them over-winter yet. No loss in size...an increase if anything.

All i can say is if your going to do it keep a very close watch on them food temp etc, and if anything could, would, or nearly might happen take them out!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back