Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick axolotl? Floating, Not eating & Left side looks swollen.

Axie123

Reaction score
Hi, I own two Axolotl, one of which seems to have a swelling/enlarged left side of its stomach region. The Axolotl doesn't appear to be able to sit on the bottom of my tank and floats to the top of the water sideways (in the direction of the swollen stomach) no matter how hard it tries to swim to the bottom. I've not seen the Axolotl eat or pass waste for the past few days either. :(

The other Axolotl (which is in the same tank) appears to be fine, can sit on the bottom of the tank and is eating as normal, with no signs of illness.

Does anyone have any information or advice on what to do to help my Axolotl? I have considered it could be either swim-bladder or bloating, however I'm unsure.

Thanks for any help! x
:)

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 1,333
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 917

lea

Reaction score
I think a visit to the fridge with enough water to cover your axie is a good start. Then a visit to the vet when you can get in. Is there anything that your axie couldve eaten? You could check the water and water temp.

Last edited:

Axie123

Reaction score
If i put the Axolotl in the fridge how long do i leave it in there for??
:)

The temperature is 16-18 degrees C

About 4-5 days ago i gave them some bloodworm which had previously been frozen but had thawed out slightly so not sure if that would have had a bad impact on it??

LeFarge

Reaction score
Best case he might just be constpitated. Fridge is the place for him at least till end of week. Daily water changes.

Where he's swollen can you see or (gently!) feel anything eg what it might be?

Axie123

Reaction score
The area doesn't feel solid, seems maybe airy or a bloated!

:happy:

Axie123

Reaction score
Axolotl is now in the fridge, looking slightly less floaty.. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1