Illness/Sickness: Overconcerned lotl parent worried about bloat

DigiFish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I fed my 3yr old female some raw shrimp meat 10 days ago for the first time and it definitely did not agree with her :p Since then she's been looking a bit fat/bloaty and today her back legs are floating a little. She has also not been as active as usual. I fed her some pellets three days ago (she took them readily) to help "move things along" but have not noticed any change. I'm wondering if this is a point where I should be concerned or considering fridging?

Water chemistry is normal, temp is 18.5 C (pretty typical). Female 'lotl is kept alone on tile-bottomed 40 liter tank and usually fed on pellets, home-raised red wigglers, and bloodworms. Obviously she will not be getting any more shrimp any time soon.

If it's only back legs floating, that's the "I need to poop!" signal! One of my juveniles was like that for weeks (s/he's such a pig!!), but now that he's not eating as much, he's stopped the constant rear-end floating.

My juveniles did this a lot when they first went onto earthworms. They don't do it so much now that they are used to them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back