Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skin discolouration

JDB89

Reaction score
So I was checking up on my salamanders (Salamandra s. terrestris) and noticed some odd discolouration on the yellow patches, creamy in some places brown in others. It is present on several of them. Any ideas what it is and how to correct it?

Best,
James

Attachments

• 20140104_125852.jpg
    20140104_125852.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 628

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like a skin infection.
Is that what the entire set-up looks like? That´s terribly unsuitable for this species. They do very badly with high humidity and poor ventilation, they are prone to developing skin conditions. If you are going to have such high levels of constant humidity, ventilation has to be optimal.
The substrate is also an extremely poor choice.

Other than the infection the animal looks thin. Have you read the caresheet?
Treating these infections is not at all easy, the best course of action would be contacting a qualified vet.

JDB89

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, I will look into it soon as and see what a vet has to say.

Of course I read care sheets. The set up is larger, with at least one hide and paper towel over about a third. I have tried including moss and some soil/earth, they didn't seem to like it, selectively choosing the gravel. I will look at reducing the humidity if it is advised (it had been recently misted before this photo), to be honest I largely kept them in the way they had been before being passed onto me as they seemed to be doing fine.

They do all get fed regularly, but if you think this one looks thin I will offer food even more often.

Best,
James

JDB89

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, I will look into it soon as and see what a vet has to say.

Of course I read care sheets. The set up is larger, with at least one hide and paper towel over about a third. I have tried including moss and some soil/earth, they didn't seem to like it, selectively choosing the gravel. I will look at reducing the humidity if it is advised (it had been recently misted before this photo), to be honest I largely kept them in the way they had been before being passed onto me as they seemed to be doing fine.

They do all get fed regularly, but if you think this one looks thin I will offer food even more often.

Best,
James

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!