Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl Pellet Food Options

ElaineSelene

Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm getting my axolotl soon and I'm looking for some good foods for it...

It sounds super silly but I'm pretty unhappy with feeding anything live or frozen because I'm not soo interested in seeing it/touching it. I have small metal tongues I could use but I'd be much happier feeding good pellets. (AS LONG AS they are fully suitable)

Something I want to ask about is what brands and exactly what kinds of pellets can I feed? Is there anything I can get at a Petco or Petsmart?

I found:

(Sinking) Shrimp pellets,
Ingredients: Whole Shrimp, Whole Salmon, Cod, Whole Herring, Seafood Mix (including Krill, Rockfish, Shrimp, Squid, Clams, Salmon Eggs and Octopus), Wheat Flour, Fresh Kelp, Spirulina, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (source of vitamin C), Natural and Artifical Colours, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (preservative), Ethoxyquin (preservative).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 38%,Crude Fat (min) 8%,Crude Fiber (max) 2%, Moisture (max) 8.5%, Ash (max) 10%, Phosphorus (min) 0.5%, Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) 2%, Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min) 1%

(VERY interested in these) Earthworm fish food: (sinking) (online I could order it).
Ingredients: white fish meal, fish protein concentrate, wheat flour, soy flour, gluten, dried brewer's yeast, frozen baby brine shrimp, plankton, shrimp, krill, powder mix, earthworms, kelp meal, dried spirulina, fish oil, lechithin. The following vitamins/mineral supplements A, D-3, B1, B12, choline HCL & biotin methionine. Vegetable protein, thiamine (source of vitamin B1). Asorbic acid (source of vitamin C).
Guaranteed analysis: Crude protein 45.0% min., crude fat 4.1% min., crude fiber 4.2% max., moisture 8.2% max. All natural ingredients, except for some artificial coloring. No preservatives.

Another Earthworm Fish food:
Salmon & Stabilized Vitamin C. Contains all essential fatty acids and eight amino acids

Yet ANOTHER Earthworm Fish Food:

blend of beef heart, earthworm, egg, spirulina, and high quality salmon meal
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein- min 45%
Crude Fat- min 10%
Crude Fiber- min 4.2%
Phophorus- min 1.0%
Moisture- max 5.0%
Microorganisms at the time of manufacture - min 1,000,000 CFU/g

What about sinking Carnivore fish food?

Someone online had food for Frogs/newts/tadpoles (Frog Newt and Tadpole Bites) and said that worked... is that true?

I'm not saying I won't stomach it and feed frozen bloodworms, daphnia, tubifex, but I am more interested in if there are satisfactory pellets I can feed my axolotl. :) (I have some old STERILIZED body piercing tongues that I can use to feed. They are the only "rounded end" tongues that I have that won't hurt the axolotl if it rams into them...)

(does brine shrimp work? I got some for my goldfish and was recommended to cultivate them for the goldfish. I would if the axolotl could eat them too. Could I feed the baby brine shrimp to my axolotl too?)

I'll shut up now unless I find something else.

Thank you VERY MUCH!
-Elaine Selene

ElaineSelene

Reaction score
Alrightyyyy I think I found a pretty much PERFECT pellet food!!! What do you think?

Cobalt Aquatics Pro Breeder Premium Fish Food

"sinking pellet... a powerful blend of beef heart, earthworm, egg, spirulina, and high quality salmon meal"

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
CRUDE PROTEIN- MIN 45%
CRUDE FAT- MIN 10%
CRUDE FIBER- MIN 4.2%
PHOSPHORUS- MIN 1.0%
MOISTURE- MAX 5.0%
MICROORGANISMS AT TIME OF MANUFACTURE- MIN 1,000,000 CFU/g

INGREDIENTS
SALMON FISH MEAL, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY FLOUR, BREWERS YEAST, CORN STARCH, DRIED SPIRULINA ALGAE, FREEZE DRIED PLANKTON, FREEZE DRIED KRILL, DRIED KELP, FISH OIL, LECITHIN, GARLIC POWDER, EARTHWORM POWDER, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D-3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B1 SUPPLEMENT, BIOTIN, CHOLINE HYDROCHLORIDE, DRIED BRINE SHRIMP, L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE (SOURCE OF STABILIZED VITAMIN C), BETA-GLUCAN, DRIED BEEF HEART, DRIED EARTHWORMS, SPRAY DRIED EGG, SHRIMP, GARLIC POWDER, DRIED EGG YOLK, CALCIUM CARBONATE, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, D1 CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, NIACIN, D-BIOTIN, RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMINE MONOITRATE, MENADIONE SUSIUM BISULFITE COMPLEX, PURIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, FOLIC ACID, DRIED BACILLUS SUBTILIS FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED BACILLUS LICHENIFORMIS FERMENTATION PRODUCT, METHIONINE, NATURAL COLORING

emmyk

Reaction score
Okay, so I don't have the ingredients, but I'm sure you can ask the owner for them. Flymeat.com has great axolotl pellets, that my axie LOVES. Sometimes when axolotls get earthworms they get spoiled and won't eat pellets, but my axolotl loves both. And they stay together in water for about an hour so the don't mess your tank before you fish them out. They're great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Bdyoung

Reaction score
I use cobalt aquatics along with earthworms and night crawlers. The only thing I don't like about them is they are fairly hard and when the axolotls poop it retains the same shape so I'm not 100% sure how much of the nutrients are being absorbed. It's purely speculation however.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 4

ElaineSelene

Reaction score
I use cobalt aquatics along with earthworms and night crawlers. The only thing I don't like about them is they are fairly hard and when the axolotls poop it retains the same shape so I'm not 100% sure how much of the nutrients are being absorbed. It's purely speculation however.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 4

Thank you very much! I could probably soften them in some water before feeding. :)

Thanks again!

ElaineSelene

Reaction score
Okay, so I don't have the ingredients, but I'm sure you can ask the owner for them. Flymeat.com has great axolotl pellets, that my axie LOVES. Sometimes when axolotls get earthworms they get spoiled and won't eat pellets, but my axolotl loves both. And they stay together in water for about an hour so the don't mess your tank before you fish them out. They're great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Oh awesome! Thank you. :)

willowcat

Reaction score
I have something that I really like that you may like. Repashy SuperFoods--Meat Pie. Carnivore Gel Premix. Awesome. You can do a search and learn about it but I don't think that you can buy directly from them. If you personally message me I will give you the wholesalers name. I don't think I can post it on here because I think it would be advertising "not the product" but a wholesaler. I am not sure if it is Lizard Lawful. :eek:

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I've heard Hikari Cichlid Sinking Pellets are very popular...gosh, there's so many! >.<

emmyk

Reaction score
I have something that I really like that you may like. Repashy SuperFoods--Meat Pie. Carnivore Gel Premix. Awesome. You can do a search and learn about it but I don't think that you can buy directly from them. If you personally message me I will give you the wholesalers name. I don't think I can post it on here because I think it would be advertising "not the product" but a wholesaler. I am not sure if it is Lizard Lawful. :eek:
Does your axie like meat pie? I use the veggie one solient green for my Shellie cichlids... was thinking it would make good axie food if I got the meat pie one

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!