Question: Terrarium Decoration in Aquarium?

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Samantha
Hi everyone! :happy: Just looking for a little input here!
I went to my local Petsmart today, looking for a small cave/hide for my future Axolotl, and found a gorgeous one in the reptile decor area.. I asked the associate and she said it should be safe to use in an aquarium, but just to be on the safe side she recommended that I set it in a bucket of water for a day or so and check the water for signs of discoloration, or paint peeling, etc..

I just wanted to know if anyone else here has experience with reptile decor in an aquarium? Personally I think it looks way nicer than any of the aquarium decor I've seen, and it's cheaper too! I just wanna be sure it's safe for my future Axie! :p
Here's a picture of it for anyone who's curious!
pPETNA-5229574_main_t300x300.jpg

I have that same item in my axolotl tank with no problems. They love it!

I would be very wary of using anything that is not marked for aquatic use. My concern would be that something may be slowly leaching into the water.

I would be very wary of using anything that is not marked for aquatic use. My concern would be that something may be slowly leaching into the water.

Yeah, I had the same concern which is why I asked the Petsmart associate.. I'm still in the middle of cycling so there won't be any Axolotl in the aquarium for a while! I looked my question up on other websites and people seemed to have mixed reviews, so.. Not sure what's the best course of action yet!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back