Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to the Axolotl world

Axolina24

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So, I have been doing endless research on how to to keep a happy Axolotl as a pet and I have run into a bit of a problem concerning the temperature.

My house in the summer gets 83 Degrees Fahrenheit (about 28 Degrees Celsius) at the most and I feel like there would be no way that I could keep a 55 gallon long tank cool just with fans. I have plans to rig up my own DIY mini fridge chiller but I haven't been able to find any information on whether or not it will suffice for that much water and if I should just break down and save up for a chiller.

My other concerns are just, getting everything I need and where to start with cycling. I know setting up a tank for an Axolotl is pretty simple, I would just like to hear about some recommended products and practices from experienced owners( cycling the tank with fish/fishless, filters, water and temperature management, ect,.) Anything you can think of I would really appreciate to hear.

Thanks in advance!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1