Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New Axolotl owner question

HesNotAFish

Reaction score
Greetings. Our new family member is an axolotl named Cabbage. I am confused as to how much I should be feeding the cute little guy. He is about 3 inches long. I've been feeding him Hikari Tropical sinking carnivore pellets that I got from the store. The sales person there said to feed him one a day (I think). He was eating one a day for a week or two, and I read somewhere that you should feed them until they are full. Then I switched to two pellets a day. Yesterday he was acting like he couldn't move his legs and was very still. He had a large poop later, and he's pretty active tonight.

Can someone please confirm how much he should eat? I will incorporate some worms into his diet, but for now I just want to make sure I'm not underfeeding or overfeeding him.

cache.php

album.php

Hayleyy

Reaction score
It varies between individuals but you want to feed until they stop accepting food. My 3 inch juvenile will eat a pea sized clump of live blackworms twice a day.
I would suggest not using superworms as the exoskeleton can't be digested by axolotls. Try and find some earthworms, especially nightcrawlers.

HesNotAFish

Reaction score
Seeing if the pictures show up this way:

Attachments

• 20190403_175339.jpg
    20190403_175339.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 20190403_175327.jpg
    20190403_175327.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 329

Hayleyy

Reaction score
What a lovely little axolotl! I suggest taking out the sand until it is 5 inches long as juveniles can get impacted on sand, even if you hand feed/dish feed. They are fine on barebottom, which is what I have at the moment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1