paddletail setup

Triton

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently got a paddletail newt P.Labiatus I have never cared for this species before only blue spotteds, they are terrestrial and I wondered what kind of setup would be best. I understand they come from a moving water environment is this important to simulate. please share your setups and ideas.

Hello, The newts require at least 30 litres each, a sand substrate would do, alot of hides, and current wise a moderatly powerful filter would do I think. Here's a link anyway www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml , good luck.

Last edited:
A Paddletail was my first ever newt, threads like this one always make me kind of nostalgic.

I would recommend a 10 gal tank as an absolute minimum(I know many people say 5 to 10) as you may be suprised at the size a healthy individual can achieve and they're quite active.
One thing I cant stress enough is that paddletails are not community animals, they are very aggressive and territorial, even with fish. I personaly am not against species mixing overall, just not with this species.

Currents can be achieved with a filter, depending on what your using, or a small submersible pump, depending on how much money/effort you want to put into it. I eventualy kept my first one in a long tank with pump, tubing and a cork bark structure so there was a still pool and a constant gentle current.

Provide hides and decoration so it can conceal itself, they rarely leave the water if healthy but you should give it the option. A floating island or just some wood protruding from the water is sufficient, chances are it wont be used. I used piles of large rocks and split cork bark curls.

I've found floating plants to be best as paddletails are quite strong and I've had them kill/dig up rooted plants. Java moss, elodea, milfoil and the like are all suitable.

Thank you both for the info, I do have a power filter and a 20 gallon deep aquarium. Should be more than enough for my single newt.

It should indeed. In a deep tank I'd suggest piles of driftwood and rocks to allow your newt easy access to the surface.

Thank you for the suggestion i took it to heart and made a pile of large flat rocks with one slanting down for easier access to the surface.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back