Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some sort of fungus?

Twigwise

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and checked on Dragon, my wildtype axolotl. He was fine last night, but I noticed after checking temps that he has what appears to be a fungus growing on one of his gill stalks. It's a nice cool 62 degrees in his tank and I can check water params if need be. I was planning on changing the filter pads in the canister filter today. Should I still do that? And my big question: is this call for a salt bath? I'd have to buy a mini fridge if he needs to be fridged so I need to know if I should do that too...

I think I attached pictures properly, but if not, I'll post them in a separate post.

Attachments

• 20171002_091508.jpg
    20171002_091508.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 20171002_091448.jpg
    20171002_091448.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 191

Twigwise

Reaction score
Update: Dragon is now in a quarantine tank and very unhappy about it. I ran water tests and my params are:
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40+ ppm (but not 80ppm yet)

I know the ammonia is a bit high but is that an acceptable place for nitrate to be? It seems way too red for me to be comfortable with...

Based on these parameters, what should my course of action be? I'm really worried about my little guy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!