Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where are the bright green orientalis?

End

Reaction score
i have 8 B.Orientalis , 4 are Brown olive green and the other 4 are quite bright. They all change colors when are under stress , but the difference in colors is quite impressive.
I want to post some pictures for show how this wonderful toads can be different to eachother
brown olive green (this group are all 2-3 years old)
005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

bright green ( 8months to 1 years old)

016-1.jpg

015-2.jpg

013-1.jpg

017.jpg

Freebird11

Reaction score
While there are several approaches to breeding these toads, the most important requirement for breeding orientalis is a winter cool down period lasting at least 6 weeks.
One successful method involves placing the toads in a tupperware/plastic food container filled two thirds of the way with moist moss and then placing the container in a fridge. The temperature of the fridge should be 7-10 °C (45-50 °F). Six to eight weeks seems to be sufficient time to condition the toads using this approach. During this period the toads are fed once a week. When their time in the fridge is up, transfer them back to a tank that is kept within the normal temperature range (see the information box near the top of this article). After allowing the toads a few days to adjust to life outside the fridge, they should receive a heavy feeding regimen that consists of crickets four times a week, and waxworms once a week. This is an integral aspect of conditioning because the nutrition the female receives will transfer to her eggs/egg production. For the first week out of the fridge, a reduced lighting period of about 10 hours per day is recommended, increasing by 1-2 hours each week until reaching a peak of about 14 hours of light each day. By the end of the first week you should begin to hear your male(s) calling.

Joost

Reaction score
There are a few dozen methods to breed Bombina orientalis, and they all work. Sometimes a water change with cool water can be enough.

rethgar

Reaction score
May i ask whats the difference between Russian and Chinese species?

The Chinese are often smaller and green or brown, the Russians lean toward a much deeper red belly and their brown colouration is distinct from the Chinese. The Korean type tends toward green more exclusively (though some variations exist.

GaryH

Reaction score
I have 5 total and one is very dark and the other 4 are very bright, my dark one is my fatty, LOL, he also seems to be the friendliest of my guys.

photo_zpsdfdadc55.jpg

physalia

Reaction score
All of the ones I have seen that are bright green have been wild caught, although I'm not sure where they were collected. I started with a group of bright green wild caught. Almost all of their offspring were brown or just had a little green on them. I thought they might grow into their colors but they did not. Then I thought it was environmental so I added lots of green plants to the tank. Still the offspring came out brown. I suspect, as others have said, that pigmentation may be a dietary issue.

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Folks
So how do we maintain the bright green colors of Bombina orientalis?
gut loading crickets and worms with color enhancing food? eg. Hikari Bio-Gold pallets which contains Astaxanthin?
how about pterins and luteins mentioned earlier? where can we find food which contains them?
thanks and cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!