Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mostly frogs

A

alan

I'd like to invite everyone over to my place for a bit of a (virtual) party. A few (virtual) drinks, tour the (virtual) frogroom, bit of a chat, etc:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.cann

Mostly frogs, although there are some caudates down at the bottom of the racks where the temperatures stay lower, and out in the porch.
RSVP. BYO(v)B.

J

jenn

Great frogroom...best one I've been in! (Now where are the drinks?)

Gorgeous frogs!

Jenn

W

william

very very nice! love the way that you keep the animals in natural surroundings (salamandra). I didn't know that dendrobium orchids would be good in a vivarium set up (dendrobates leucomelas tank). I thought that they would need to be kept in a different enviroment. are other species as good?

A

alan

Well, the Salamandra setup has been the subject of considerable debate. I just can't bring myself to keep them on paper towels. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just that it doesen't work for me. All points to the fact that there's never just one "right" way to maintain any species.

The orchid in the leucomelas tank is a Phalaenopsis hybrid, currently in bloom. This tank isn't really tall enough for the flower spike, but I love the foliage (so do the frogs). I bought this specimen for 1.99 in a garden centre - faded flower spike, so it was in the clearance section. Keep your eyes open for bargains!

E

edward

If anyone is interested in trying orchids in their tanks this site has a number of species that like it fairly low to medium light and cool and damp to wet like the salamanders we keep.
http://www.andysorchids.com

Ed

W

william

great i'll bear that in mind. also how hard is it to keep dart frogs? i'm not considering getting them at all until i'm much more experienced, but i'm just curious.

A

alan

Nice site Ed, thanks.

In my opinion, dart frogs are fairly easy to keep once you have some experience with amphibians. Why? It's easier for most people to provide the temperatures they prefer (room temperature), and they're diurnal so you can see if they're eating. What's hard? They need a fairly continual supply of very small food items. You can't really leave them alone for long periods as you can with salamanders. If you want dart frogs, you'd better enjoy culturing fruitflies, because that's what you'll send much of your time doing!
Best advice I can give is to see if you can maintain a continuous supply of fruitflies for several months, then decide if dart frogs are for you.

morg

Reaction score
Congratulations on the site Alan.
Magnificent set ups you have there, and wonderful looking amphibians.
All of your set ups look like show tanks, which I am sure your animals are happy to be living in.

A

alan

More to the point Morg, the wife is happy! She dislikes looking at paper towels even more than I do!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!