Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind of eggs?

Katniss

Reaction score
:confused: I will put up a picture soon , but i will descibe them to you , they are a big jelly mass , circular , not a line or string. Inside they are half white , black! They are small!
The pond that they were in houses Bullfrogs and American toads! Thanks, Katniss:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Syllvie

Reaction score
It sounds like American Toad eggs, but it would be a lot easier to tell if you have any pictures. Bullfrog eggs are usually very dark in color completely. American Toad eggs (like most amphibian eggs) are held together with a thick string of jelly-like... stuff(I don't know what it's called).

Do you have any pictures?

KingCam

Reaction score
It sounds like American Toad eggs, but it would be a lot easier to tell if you have any pictures. Bullfrog eggs are usually very dark in color completely. American Toad eggs (like most amphibian eggs) are held together with a thick string of jelly-like... stuff(I don't know what it's called).

How does it sound like american toad eggs? Katniss said they were not in a line or a string. Toad eggs are also usually all black, not half and half.

These are american toad eggs:
img_2085.jpg

Bullfrogs lay their eggs in giant masses.

Chorus frogs lay their eggs in small masses on twigs and old grass in shallow-ish water. They are sometimes all white, sometimes they are black/white.

A photo would be most helpful!

Syllvie

Reaction score
Really? Because the American Toad eggs I've seen have had some black, some white in them. Several of the websites that I visited when I was raising tadpoles even said in plain English 'equal parts black and white.' They are only black and jellied after/if they've been fertilized.

KingCam

Reaction score
Really? Because the American Toad eggs I've seen have had some black, some white in them. Several of the websites that I visited when I was raising tadpoles even said in plain English 'equal parts black and white.'

I repeat, usually all black, not always all black.

Why are you ignoring that they are always laid in strings rather than clumps?

If Katniss has a clump of eggs they are not from an american toad. Period.

They are only black and jellied after/if they've been fertilized.

They will be in the same jelly string whether they've been fertilized or not.

Last edited:

sallie2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Syllvie
Really? Because the American Toad eggs I've seen have had some black, some white in them. Several of the websites that I visited when I was raising tadpoles even said in plain English 'equal parts black and white.'

Depending on how the egg mass looks it could range from frog to salamander. But without a picture from the source there cannot be certainty.

Last edited:

Katniss

Reaction score
:D Well the eggs , hatched! And yes in my pond their are Bullfrogs and american toads , And i have never seen anything else!! I have been looking for 7 years!! So , they hatched , they are very dark black and skinny! I have had am.toads tads and they do look like them! But they were laid in a clump, which puzzles me because they really do look like them, but is it possible for me to have weird toads laying clumps?:confused:And when should i start feeding them??? thanks !

Syllvie

Reaction score
When my tadpoles hatched, they were a type of frog in the genus Rana (cute little Leopard Frogs), and had to be fed pretty much as soon as they hatched. I didn't keep them, only raised them until they could walk on land, and then let them go back in the pond. But they ate simple dead bloodworms. They were nice and fat and happy. :) But I'm sure they were even happier when released, haha.

Cam, I'm not sure why you're being so defensive. I was only stating what they seemed to sound like to me, based on what I've read about American Toads several years ago when I was trying to identify my tadpoles.

Katniss, I had two different tadpoles, too. I had those cute Leopard Frogs, and also a type of toad that I'm unable to remember exactly the name of. But they all looked pretty similar as tadpoles. So, it still could be either or at this point.

KingCam

Reaction score
Cam, I'm not sure why you're being so defensive. I was only stating what they seemed to sound like to me, based on what I've read about American Toads several years ago when I was trying to identify my tadpoles.

I'm not trying to be defensive, I'm only stating facts. Toad eggs are laid in strings and more often than not, solid black. Therefore that's not what Katniss has, that's all I'm saying.

Sorry if I came off as mean, rude, or whatever. I'm a real cut-n-dry kinda guy. It's either this way, or it's that way, I don't spend a lot of time worrying about being sensitive about it.

Last edited:

KingCam

Reaction score
So , they hatched , they are very dark black and skinny! I have had am.toads tads and they do look like them! But they were laid in a clump, which puzzles me because they really do look like them, but is it possible for me to have weird toads laying clumps?:confused:
Again, photos would really be helpful.

Toads do not lay in clumps. Did you collect the eggs right as they were hatching? Maybe the jelly was deteriorating and fell to the bottom in what looked like a "clump." If you collected them shortly after they were laid they should look like a "string of black pearls" if they are american toads.

Toad tadpoles will have little tiny external gills behind their heads almost like a baby newt or salamander, except much smaller and less noticeable. Do yours have that?
Here is what newly hatched American tadpoles look like while they're still absorbing yolk and developing:
img_2102.jpg

Bullfrog tadpoles are also small and black when they're first born, but I think they lack those external gills. You probably just got a small clump off eggs from a first-year mother bullfrog. If they are bullfrogs they will keep getting bigger and transition from black to a dark brown/greenish color with little speckles all over them.

And when should i start feeding them??? thanks !

I would provide them with a few pieces of boiled lettuce as soon as they hatch, that way they'll have it right as soon as they're ready for it. It usually takes tadpoles 1-3 days to start eating. Longer if the water is cold and they are developing slowly.

Katniss

Reaction score
Yes , they do look like that!!! Nice pic, surprised that you caught the gills in pic!! And i collected the eggs last sunday, and they hatched Today and Thursday! And they were what it looks like a clump! Unless i am blind! And i have had bullfrog tads before and they do not look like this, these are too small to be them and too dark black!! So i was right that they were American toads, i was only second guessing myself because it was laid in a clump!!:cool:And i feed them and they did not eat yet so i guess i will try On Saturday!!

Syllvie

Reaction score
Ah! =Facepalm=

I meant that they were eating bloodworms once they got their front legs. As tadpoles, I gave them boiled lettuce.

Katniss, I have no idea why they were laid in a clump. That is pretty interesting.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Not to mention that bullfrogs don't breed until July. I know everyone's a little early this season, but I refuse to believe bullfrogs are breeding in March, no matter how warm it is! lol

KingCam

Reaction score
Should i like contact a biologist or something??

I think you should just provide us with some photos (5th request) so we can help you identify them better. A biologist won't be able to help you without photos, either.

A photo would be most helpful!
But without a picture from the source there cannot be certainty.
Again, photos would really be helpful.

Katniss

Reaction score
I`m so sorry , my camera is not working!! But , I will have it working hopefully by this week!!! So say tuned this week , i promise i will have them by the end of this week!

KingCam

Reaction score
I`m so sorry , my camera is not working!! But , I will have it working hopefully by this week!!! So say tuned this week , i promise i will have them by the end of this week!

Oh, so you don't actually have photos of the eggs before they hatched? :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!