Where am I going wrong ?

Jen10s

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jen
Hi there, I'm having trouble getting Brine Shrimp eggs to hatch.

Currently following Yellowpebbles instructions but fear that maybe water is too cold (winter here), using 1/2 teaspoon rock salt, around 1L water, aerated constantly, lamp over top (not much heat from the lamp though). Is there anything obvious that I'm missing ?

Any advice much appreciated, hungry babies waiting to be fed ...... :D

Hey! I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. I was so stressed! I tried everything and searched for hours on the net for different salt combinations, etc, with no success. Finally, I found a site that said to use sea water. On my first attempt using it, I had a 95% hatch rate. The only thing I added was a little pinch of bi-carb soda (which balances the ph levels, I believe).
If you can't get down to the beach, most aquarium shops will sell you their salt water by the litre.

Hope this helps! Good luck. :happy:

Fantastic, will try to get some tomorrow and try another batch.

Have you tried "Magnetic Brine Shrimp" eggs? Saw them on eBay, need to get more eggs as I only have a small amount, not sure which are best.

Thanks for your help elim :D

No problem! Hope it works :)
If not, I'd suggest sitting your hatchery in a tub of warm water with a heater to keep the temp up. This also makes them hatch faster, so now I just start a new batch after I've harvested the day's batch and it's ready at the same time the next day.

I have a cheap fish heater from big w in a small 30cm tank (but I'm sure any plastic tub would work too) and have duct taped the hatchery to a take away container. I made it sink to the bottom using heavy rocks so the water line matches the waterline level in the hatchery.

I bought the magnetic brine shrimp eggs from kappooww and the normal ones from another seller on ebay and both have extremely high hatch rates.
The magnetic eggs work like they're meant to, but I found it was too much hassle to go around with a magnet and constantly wipe the eggs away. I just use the coke bottle method and let them settle to the bottom before draining.

Will you be selling the babies from this batch in the future? If so, I'd be interested in knowing what colours the parents are. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back