Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Growing Daphnia in aquarium for food

Munchausen

Reaction score
I want to cultures of copepods and daphnia to feed to larvae, but I'm concerned too many will get sucked up into the filters. Will this happen or is there a way to filer the water without killing all of the daphnia?

axowattyl

Reaction score
I've been messing around with shrimp a bit, experimenting with their viability as a clean up crew and food source (in their own tank at this stage).

I've found a piece of stocking over the filter intake works a treat, but you do need to clean it time to time.

The thing with daphnia is that they like really nasty green water, which might lead to really quick blockages of your intake.

We have absolutely BILLIONS of the things in our farm dam, but it's dried up and empty with 1m of the nastiest water you've ever seen in the bottom and cow poo/blue green algae everywhere.

Apparently this is what they like....must be given how many there are.

Problem is I'm not game to scoop them out of that kind of water and feed them to my axies.

Fishfur

Reaction score
Given my experience, I would not use any filter at all. Daphnia need some circulation so their food will remain suspended in the water, but not a lot. Bigger bubbles are better than tiny ones, which might get caught under their shells and strand them at the surface where they'll starve.

Instead of filtration you just do water changes. Put a piece of very fine mesh, like panty hose, over the siphon tube, suck out a quarter of the water twice a week. Shake off any critters stuck to the screen on the siphon, then refill gently with new conditioned water.

Don't overfeed. Despite the fact they seem to thrive in algae filled ponds, tanks are an artificial environment. In a tank, too much food can literally use up the oxygen too fast and they'll die. Only enough food to last them a few days, no more. Once it is gone, add more. As the culture grows, more food at one time, but still be careful.

Baker's yeast dissolved in water first is a useful food, but remember, daphnia themselves have little food value. It is what they eat that gives them value, so feeding algae means they have a lot more to offer the prey animals they're fed too.

I've run across some great links on raising daphnia, moina and dero worms, if anyone wants them, just ask, I'll post them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!