Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Daphnia

demiegab

Reaction score
I order a Daphnia kit and when I recieved it three days late I only had 4 Daphnia still alive in the package. Will the population grow with only 4 or should I get more?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In theory, you could get a population going from only 4, but it will take a long time and you could lose them all rather easily. Unless you are verrrrrry patient, I'd recommend ordering more. Since it arrived late, the seller may be willing to reship for no cost, or just the ship cost.

AngieD

Reaction score
Definitely ask the seller to send another, any seller worth their salt will send another out for free if there were so few alive in the set

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
Depending on the speices they will produce rapidly, but not near fast enough if you need to feed from them soon.

I'd ask them for a refund at the least a replenish of what you lost as it was late.

demiegab

Reaction score
Well the seller "buylivefishfood.com" will not email me back or answer the phone. I will not order from them again since he cant get back with me.

Fishfur

Reaction score
Though they are not cheap, Carolina Biologicals is good to deal with. They replace anything that does not arrive in good shape, and are very prompt to respond to questions or complaints. I have purchased algae cultures, moina, daphnia eggs, dero worms, wingless fruit flies and a number of other items from then and they've always been good. You get culture information with them too.

Only drawback is that because they mainly supply academic institutions, the portions of some of the live cultures may be rather small. But they are pure and uncontaminated, and they do back up their goods. Ship almost anywhere at all.

apileofclothes

Reaction score
I had luck ordering just Daphnia eggs (from Carolina Biological Supply). Eggs are much hardier when going through the mail than adults in culture. I also got some food for them while I was at it. They also told me that I should expect some Triops and Fairy Shrimp to hatch along with the Daphnia, so it feels like I got a really good deal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1