Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Feeding frequency for 3 juvie axolotls?

MW3addict08

Reaction score
First time doing this so I think I'm doing it right.
I have just recently become the proud owner of 3 juvenile axolotls.
Can anyone help me as to how much and often I should feed them? I am currently giving them frozen bloodworm.
Is one cube a day enough or should I feed them a cube in the morning and one later on in the evening since there are three of them.

I appreciate any help given.
Thanks

Axolottie

Reaction score
Usually if their stomachs are around the same width as their head, they're full.
Some axies are little piggies and will eat even after that. I have 2 axies, 1 will eat and eat while the other usually eats once her stomach is the width of her head.
It typically depends on the axie, how quickly do you see them finish a cube?
I honestly only raised one juvenile on blood worms, as I got the other one later and she took to red wigglers right away so she's always been eating live since I had her, but the one I did raise on blood worms, ate about 1 cube a day. I cut the cube in half and fed one half in the morning and the other half at night.

MW3addict08

Reaction score
Thank you, this helps! I heard about how their stomachs should be the width of their head but I didn't realise how it was just after one feeding. I see it now. One of my axis is looking well fed, but one of them seems to hide away a lot so I'm worried he's not eating enough

Axolottie

Reaction score
Completely late on this reply
You could separate the one that doesn't look like its eating enough during feeding time and let it eat on it's own, just take out some of the blood worms you've defrosted for the three and it should be fine :)

MW3addict08

Reaction score
Thankfully, little Nate has perked up. Perhaps he was just taking a little longer to adjust to the change in scenery and was tank shy. He's eating as much as the others now. Thank you for your help :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!