Yet another "first morph" thread.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Yeah i know there´s a lot of these threads..but what can i say....i´m so damn happy! I was going to bed last night and decided to take a look at both larvae to see how they were doing. The bigger one hadn´t eaten that day and i saw it gulping for hair so i was expecting it to morph, but when i saw the little thing staying out of the water absorving it´s gills and drying it´s skin i swear i nearly cried...
I guess it´s one of the most exciting experiences you can have when you keep caudates. I was amazed when i got eggs....but the first morph is something different...special.
Anyway....here it is my first Cynops orientalis morph n_n

Attachments

• P1050543.JPG
    P1050543.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 333
  • P1050548.JPG
    P1050548.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 276
  • P1050553.JPG
    P1050553.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 278
I think this sort of a thread is one of the best. Especially in a thread where we can follow progress...Congratulations, I agree that it's one of the most exciting experiences a newt keeper can have. Also, I think, seeing a newt do well and eat that you got sick or emaciated. That's also a great feeling.

Congratulations, Looking great man...
I wish i could experiance that feeling well the closest iv come was when i hand fed a C. Orentalis for the first time!

Ciz

They look great. Well done!

That's great Rodrigo! I had no luck with my C. orientalis eggs and larvae this year. Mine are still laying eggs but I don't gather them anymore as they succumb to fungus almost every time, or are infertile. I guess my group is too young.

Thank you ppl.
I´m in love with the little bugger. Such a tiny cute thing.
Too bad Coen. I had no problems with fungus and all the eggs were fertile, but still i only got around 17 eggs which is a very little amount of them. When i bought my couple they were already fully grown adults. Anyway, best of lucks next season. I can´t wait til they breed again, so that i can try and not make as many mistakes as i did this first time.

Btw, i´m keeping the morph in a small plastic container with lots of tiny holes in one side for ventilation. The soil is moist but not damp, and there are some leaves and a piece of bark for cover. Is it ok??

Congrats, Rodrigo! I think the setup you have for the morph is perfect. Now the trick is to find small live food, or teach it to hand-feed. In a setup with leaves, you are not likely to be able to hand feed, as it will always be hiding.

It died....
Woke up this morning to find it that way...i don´t know what i did wrong....

Oh, Rodrigo - I am so sorry. You have worked so hard for these little morphs. I am sure it was nothing you did wrong. I wish you the best of luck with the remaining larva.
Heather

My last larvae morphed two days ago.....it´s 4cm long, a bit bigger than the other one. It goes onto land for small periods of time and then goes back to water. If it keeps being aquatic then there´s hope it´ll make it....i so hope it makes it....:S

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back