How to feed Red efts

Viridescens

Reaction score
Country
United States
I kept an N. Viridescens larvae in a terrestrial enclosure, and he ate fairly regularly, but then the crickets could roam around. Now he's in a semi aquatic tank, but he hasn't metamorphosed yet, so Im not yet there with feeding him bloodworms and the crickets can roam around( they might drown ) so I'd like to hand feed him, or maybe when it's feeding time I could move him to a separate terrestrial tank. Any suggestions for feeding?

I've got 4 red efts at the moment all I do is chop up Canadian night crawlers into bite sized pieces and they go nuts for them. They'll take them off my fingers, tweezers or if you drop them in the enclosures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kept an N. Viridescens larvae in a terrestrial enclosure, and he ate fairly regularly, but then the crickets could roam around. Now he's in a semi aquatic tank, but he hasn't metamorphosed yet, so Im not yet there with feeding him bloodworms and the crickets can roam around( they might drown ) so I'd like to hand feed him, or maybe when it's feeding time I could move him to a separate terrestrial tank. Any suggestions for feeding?

How does this even make sense lol

He's saying that his newts are morphing (going into aquatic mode) so he can no longer feed them free roam crickets because crickets are terrestrial creatures and will drown. The newts will not take blood worms on the bottom for him so he doesn't know how to get them to eat. I thought it was pretty straight forward lol.

By the way to the poster of this thread , you may place your newt in a cup to eat some of mine will do that too. It is best to get him to eat in the water try the canadian night crawlers chopped up like I suggested. This species is sometimes very picky and unfortunately just doesn't always make it not even in the wild..

If you still want to feed crickets you can. They should avoid the water. You can also put a bunch of floating plants in the water (which you should have anyway to help your newt in the water). The crickets will be able to walk across to safety. If all that fails, just fish the drowned ones out.

Said he kept larvae that have not morphed yet in a terrestrial enclosure which confused me, just improper use of words I guess

Thank you all. Sorry for the confusion, just didn't really know how to put that into words? I might try the chopped night crawlers.

If there's not too many efts it could be fun to hand feed them, you just need to offer small pieces of nightcrawler near their mouths on the end of a wooden cocktail stick or tweezers. They might not take to it straight away but with patients they should learn that your hand means feeding time and learn to beg for more while ever your hand is near the tank.

You can also place a folded piece of paper towel (not coloured) onto the substrate. Make a little bowl by pressing it into the substrate. Here you can put in some live bloodworms, white worms, cut up worms or tubifex. After one day you can take out the paper towel.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back