Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A thread about FOOD

H

hayley-jane

Axies are meant to be fed 3/4 times a week right?

Would it be okay to feed them every day but less?

So that overall its the same amount given, just spread out?
frog.gif

J

joão

I feed my axies 2/3 times a week,for six axies, I alternate with in one day I give one and a half cube of frozen food divided for all, the other I will give them pellets one pellet for each one, sometimes I give them a special thing, like earthworms.
I don´t feed my axies with meat , cause in their natural habitat, "like someone said" there´s no ox laying around.

J

joão

It´s not that really special, but it´s the best live food for axies. Sometimes, cause of my english , I cant explain myself right.

J

joan

I feed my axolotls all about half an earthworm 3-4 times a week. They rarely get treats such as waxworms or butterworms.

C

cynthia

I feed mine every other day. They get either pellets, worms, fish fillets, or shrimp pieces.

Mostly worms and salmon pellets the fish and shrimp are for treats once or twice a month.

H

hayley-jane

Joan - how old are your axies?

Cause Elsa is eating 6 tiny earthworms (about 4/5 cm long and 0.5 cm thick) every other day which seems like loads compared to yours?

She doesn't appear overweight though?
frog.gif

How many worms do your adults eat Cynthia?

C

cynthia

Hayley - On worm day mine each eat 2 to 3 worms that are 2.5 to 3 inches long (6.35 - 7.62 cm for you who don't do inches).

I wouldn't worry about your axolotl getting fat Hayley, she will probably make eggs out of any extra food now that she is feeling better.

H

hayley-jane

I've never seen her with eggs before. Does she just become rounded?

She is on her own, so there is no male around, do the eggs still come out if there is no male?

J

joan

Mine are over a year. They eat about 3 inches of worm 3x a week. If I feed them more, they throw it up. Any axolotl will throw up bolus if they're being overfed.

About the eggs, she'll still produce eggs, even if a male isn't around. Some do lay the eggs, but most just reabsorb them if there's no male to fertilize them. This is not a problem with amphibians as it could be in reptiles. Reptiles have to lay the eggs as they can become egg-bound, but I think this is because their eggs are hard shelled and not easily reabsorbed, unlike axolotls which have soft eggs.

R

rheann

I feed my Axolotls once everyday each a big chunk of earthworm and a few pellets. Recently I have been feeding them every other day a big chunk of earthworm and a few colony pellets. I also give them a cricket each at the end of the week as they look forward to it I am sure. They love crickets. What are Butter worms? could i feed these to my Axolotls? What about shrimp? I don't mean brine shrimp but the shrimp that are in packages at the supermarket. Are these ok too as treats? My one inch Axolotl is eating the pellets. Just got him yesterday and he ate one pellet. I have the large pellets if I remember correctly, got the pellets a few months ago and froze most of them. I feed him one pellet twice a day since one pellet is a meal for him since he's so small lol. Think I will also try blackworms as treats too.

H

hayley-jane

Joan, yours don't eat much compared to Elsa. Maybe its just different axies have different appetites?

Elsa eventually does start spitting the worms back out. She will take one in her mouth then spit it out unhurt - but to get to this stage it takes about 7 worms. Greedy little beggar eh?!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1