Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Guppies and Ghost shrimp in tank

Greg31

Reaction score
I am getting my axolotl later this week. Just wondering if like 10 ghost shrimp, 4 guppies and 4 plants might be too much for a 15g tank? i havent gotten shrimp yet but wanted advice first.

Markw

Reaction score
Quarentine the shrimp first for at least 30 days. Your axie will most likely eat the shrimp as fast as you can put them in there. Same for the guppies, but no, its not too much in the tank as long as you keep doing regular water changes and cleaning the tank well to keep up on the ammonia that the shrimp will help with too).

Mark

Markw

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Ive heard tons of stories with axies, guppies/mosquitofish/mollies/platties, and cherry/ghost shrimp living together for quite along time if the axies are fed extremely well. I hear that cherry shrimp seem to do better for some reason though and theyre really prolific, so if the axie doesnt go and eat all of them straight away, they can sometimes establish quite large colonies with them. Ghost shrimp have been proven really hard to keep alive in captivity and are hard to get to breed. They are usually looked at as food, so not handled too well and are usually damaged when you get them. Cherries are usually bred intentionally to keep as pets, so they are brought up well and are usually healthy. Just expect to lose some. I will be keeping a breeder tank of cherry shrimp and put some in the 55gal and see how it goes. If they live, I will put more in. If not, I will put some in when the breeder tank does its job and they hatch out more babies than it can hold. Its a personal choice, a game of chance really.

Mark

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Greg,

Before you add anything have a look here Caudata Culture look up species mixing disasters it has a comprehensive list of what species can be mixed and the possible ramifications.

Good Luck

Markw

Reaction score
Let me save you the trip. Axies are ideally supposed to be for species-specific tanks. Anything you put in with your axie could potentially harm them, or the axie will eat it. If its smaller than the axie, dont get too attatched to it because it will be gone soon. Anything you put in there, make sure it is well within the size of food your axie can accomodate and isnt hard as to not cause impaction on the axie. So, in short, nothing hard, nothing bigger than what the axie can eat, and nothing that could harm the axie.

Mark

kenya

Reaction score
Mark brings up a good point about fish/invertebrates sold as food being handled worse than the regular fish. But it kind of depends on where you go. Chain stores tend to get small amounts of the ghost shrimp, and they don't last long. I just got two dozen from a reallyyyy good mom and pop place, and they are all healthy. I grabbed some Hikari frozen brine shrimp and when I got home from work six hours later they had eaten it all up! Healthy appetites are a good sign. But it's trial and error. And do not forget to quarantine!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
are guppies ok? the bones may cause trouble right? or am i just over thinking it.

Your just over thinking it.;) People feed guppies to the axolotls all the time, myself included, and I don't think I have ever heard of the bones causing a problem.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Greg,

Its a good thought really. Sometimes, the simplest thing tends to get overlooked. I can see where you are coming from. I have fed guppies/minnows to my axies without problems, but i guess theoretically, bones can still pose a problem.

Cheers.

Markw

Reaction score
Both shrimp and feeder fish are okay to feed your axies 99+% of the time as long as they can fit comfortably in your axies' mouth and wont harm them. Stick with guppies, mollies, platies, and mosquitofish for the fish category for the most part. Ghost shrimp and cherry red shrimp seem to be the two favorites as far as shrimp are concerned. The people that feed cherries generally have a cherry tank that they breed and keep colonies of shrimp in that they take their feeders from. Hope ive helped some.

Mark

Florieke

Reaction score
Hi Greg,

Before you add anything have a look here Caudata Culture look up species mixing disasters it has a comprehensive list of what species can be mixed and the possible ramifications.

Good Luck

I read the page, they never said anything about shrimps being harmfull for the axies, just that they ate them. Anyone ever had a problem with shrimps in the tank?

Markw

Reaction score
Ive heard of the shrimp picking at an axies' gills, but since they are first and foremost scavengers and only eat algae, I cant see this happening in the norm. Plus, the shrimp soon became axie's appetizer, so no problems after that. :wink:

Mark

Florieke

Reaction score
Thanx for your reply! My new tank is on its way! It will contain shrimps and guppies. They will be food for my two axolotl's Salter and Harris. I really wanted a second tank so I could breed them and therefore make a steady snack for my axolotl's (and also make a nice place for them to stay in quarantaine!!).

Markw

Reaction score
Be weary. The guppies may eat the shrimp. I found it hard to believe that they would, but they do nip quite a bit at them if there is not enough food. Make sure you feed well enough and if you wanted to avoid the problem all together, you could always go for mosquitofish. They are a relative of the guppy and are heard to be much more prolific. They tend to stay in the mid-top column of water, away from any shrimps. Just a thought.

Mark

Florieke

Reaction score
Thanx (again)! I haven't got the tank yet, so no shrimps and guppies together yet :D I have a great and big aquarium-fish store at walking distance from my house. I'm gonna pay them a visit to see if they have those mosquitofish!

Markw

Reaction score
Another thing Ive heard that gives good results are white clouds. Ive never had experience with them, but thats what I hear.

Mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1