Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spawn with no eggs in it!

Opus

Reaction score
Hi there everyone! :)

I'm the proud owner of a beautiful axolotl named Shuna and a couple of fire bellied toads called Cherie and Muckle. Cherie's a girl, it seems; Muckle's a boy.

A couple of days ago I found them in amplexus: Muckle's been calling every evening for a while and I guess Cherie finally took the bait! Anyway, they apparently spawned: the tank has a little jelly in it now in a couple of places. However, there are no eggs in the jelly....

Could this be a practice run, so to speak? It's curious. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? :sick:

seagull

Reaction score
is the jelly thin with tiny black dots all over it? if so this is just old shed skin
I mistook it for eggs once
eggs are laid singly on plants in a double membrane like this
bombinaegg1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

these toads will engage in amplexus with anything regardless of whether or not it's receptive, even a female, or even an animal (mine amplex the bamboo plant a lot)
it's also possible the jelly is too thin or it's being disturbed so the eggs are falling out of it and sinking

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!