Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does anyone keep slender salamanders (Batrachoseps)

C

Cliygh and Mia

I am currently in California, and my dad promised to take me to where he found these guys as a kid, so I am just wondering (before I get one) if anybody keeps these in the hobby. Due to their small size fruit flies would be good I think? And they like to burrow I believe, so does anybody keep/care for these guys?

AdvythAF

Reaction score
I don't keep Batrachoseps, but I do find them frequently on herping trips. They are extremely common even months after it rains. You can usually find them in oak forests or redwood forests. Sometimes even in urban areas. It seems like they do like to burrow, because when uncovered they dig into the ground like worms. These are just my observations from the field, but someone who keeps this species might be able to provide more help.

I did learn a lot about them from this care sheet:
Marc Staniszewski's Slender Salamander Care Sheet

sde

Reaction score
Xavier, the possession limit for this species is 4 per person. You can collect for free ( because of your age ), but if you want more than 4 than you could have your dad buy a sport fishing license, and then he could also collect 4.

C

Cliygh and Mia

The most I would want is 2 just because I don't think I could handle 4 all in one tank ;)

C

Cliygh and Mia

Also I think I know why I like this species. Has kind of a Bolitoglossa look going on, except smaller and easier to find natively

C

Cliygh and Mia

Oh, and BTW, the place he found them at is lily pond, anybody go there? (Not going to tell where lily pond is because I want it to be peaceful and not disturbed by anything or anyone)

Viridescens

Reaction score
I haven't kept slender salamanders, but I have kept wild-caught red backs, and Northern two lined salamanders for a little bit( a little bit meaning catch and release ). If i found a slender salamander, I might keep it the same exact way. Keep a medium substrate, with some dead leaves, a shallow water dish, and some ferns. That's pretty much how I've kept the earlier species. Good luck!

mcraneck

Reaction score
i dont know buddy, i have some bolitoglossa platydactyla they are very easy to care i breed them a lot of times!

ChristineB

Reaction score
There are surely dozens of "Lily Ponds" in CA, we're as big as France. :) Glad you found an undisturbed spot, though, especially with all our drought issues.

C

Cliygh and Mia

There are surely dozens of "Lily Ponds" in CA, we're as big as France. :) Glad you found an undisturbed spot, though, especially with all our drought issues.

Well clawed frogs were found in Lily Pond, do they started to drain it, but I found them in an area with a huge log next to the pond, and that's where I found them. I am no longer in California though. :( Wish I was there longer

gregory741

Reaction score
Xavier, the possession limit for this species is 4 per person. You can collect for free ( because of your age ), but if you want more than 4 than you could have your dad buy a sport fishing license, and then he could also collect 4.
if you wanted more then 4:
you could breed them and then after they lay eggs you could buy I license then you could keep as many captive bred one's as you want (well that's at lest how it works in Ohio I don't know about Georgia)

DavidHarr

Reaction score
I have some experience keeping Batrachoseps. For the most part they like moist woody duff usually from redwood, douglas fir or other conifers and lots of moist moss to hide in. You don't want to have standing water at the bottom of their tank, just saturate the moss and duff so it stays damp and humid. I usually put them outside on cool, rainy nights for short periods to keep them moist. They also like pieces of decaying wood and/or bark, preferably redwood for B. attenuatus and douglas fir for B. wrighti. They like it cool and humid, between 40-65 F is about right.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!