Ends of Gills Losing Color

HughManatee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everybody!

Recently I noticed my axolotl Westley had a small white spot on the end of one gill. Since then, it seems to have spread to the gills below it as well. As far as I can tell, it doesn't appear fuzzy, more like the tips are simply losing their color. I can't tell whether the gill fronds are shorter in the pale areas.

Westley lives by himself in a 29 gallon tank.

Parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10-20 nitrate.

Temp is currently 66, I have had trouble keeping it stable recently but it has never gone above 67 (at least as far as I have seen).

If someone could help, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Attachments

• 2018-07-06 19.05.58.jpg
    2018-07-06 19.05.58.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 2018-07-06 19.06.17.jpg
    2018-07-06 19.06.17.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 2018-07-06 19.06.54.jpg
    2018-07-06 19.06.54.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 81
Is there anything the gill may have snagged on in the tank? I've read a few posts the last few weeks with loss of pigment on gills. So far it doesn't seem like it's anything bad but keep an eye on it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back