Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Juveniles Not Moving A Lot

Axolotlz

Reaction score
Hello! Two days ago I got three juvenile axolotls. They were born in late march so they are almost four months old and around 2-3 inches big. After first getting them, they were swimming around a bunch but over the past day they havent been moving around really at all unless to eat or sometimes just switchign to a different position. One of them is also floating around but seems to be okay. Is this normal? Currently, they are all being housed in a tubberware tub with water that has been treated with prime and is staying at 60-65 degrees. I've had no issues with them bullying each other or not eating. The tub also has 2 PVC pipes that they sometimes hang out in. They have beenn feeding on just frozen brine shrimp as both pet stores in my area are out of frozen blood worms (which is also what they were being fed up to me getting them) and any earthworms. I've been doing 100% water changes daily and feeding once in the morning and once at night. I havent been able to test the levels of the water as im getting a test kit from a friend who wont be back in town until Monday morning. Their tails are all straight and their gills arent curled, theyre just all lying in the same position which is worring me. I currently have a 40 gallon tank that im beginning to cycle before moving them in.
Thank you all in advance for the help!

The tub in the close up picture is just what they were in for a water change and one pooped! And the spots on the golden one are just his markings! Very shiny and iridescent.

Attachments

• IMG_8983.jpg
    IMG_8983.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8985.jpg
    IMG_8985.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 102

Tye

Reaction score
You have a very, very, pretty wild type.

My guys are about six or seven months old, so just a bit older than yours and I've noticed a huge slow down in their activity. Axolotls aren't a very active animal to begin with. The temp range you're keeping them at is great, and colder water encourages less movement as well. My two tend to be more active at night and during the day they sit in one spot pretty much without moving.

As long as they're eating and pooping fine and not showing any signs of stress I think they're ok. Maybe when they're in the bigger tank with more to explore they'll move a bit more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!