Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Maggots as food

Flyguy784

Reaction score
Being new to all this, I have to ask, Does anyone feed their sally's maggots. I came across a bunch of them feeding on a chicken carcass I had put in the trash. Although it sounds nasty, if I harvested a bunch, rinsed them, I'd think they'd be a great food for salamanders. I know humans in some areas eat them, why not my tiger? They look like nice plump wax worms. Some almost a half inch long. I'd have to believe in the wild, if a salamander happened across a bunch of maggy's, he'd chow down.

Any experienced thoughts?

Flyguy784

Reaction score
Thanks. Looked it up, lots of info out there and it appears they're (flies and fly larva) are a good food source if used sparingly.

I've always believed that when raising any animal, a varied diet is very important.

Thanks again.

Counting

Reaction score
I feed my ambystoma maculatum babies fruit fly maggot as part of a varied diet. I wouldn`t hesitate to feed clean maggots to my axolotl or to another adult salamander. I used to culture flightless fruit fly and feed the flies and maggots to my show betta as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!