The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 23rd March 2019   #1
vinsmoke

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: vinsmoke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to store food and how often to feed them?

Hello! I'm a new axolotl owner and I've got pre-packaged bloodworms and shrimp for it. Just want to double check and make sure if it's okay to keep these things refrigerated. Also, how often should I be feeding it if it were an adult?

vinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Where to store food and how often to feed them?

Are they the frozen cube kind or live? If cubes then the freezer is the best place.
How big is the axie? If it is adult I would recommend you try and get some earthworms. They're a better diet in the long run and you don't have to search for uneaten food. If it's a juvenile then bloodworms are good.
I've always fed mine every day but some people feed every 2-3 days. You'll have to do some trial and error to figure out how often your axolotl wants to eat.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019   #3
vinsmoke

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: vinsmoke is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayleyy View Post
Are they the frozen cube kind or live? If cubes then the freezer is the best place.
How big is the axie? If it is adult I would recommend you try and get some earthworms. They're a better diet in the long run and you don't have to search for uneaten food. If it's a juvenile then bloodworms are good.
I've always fed mine every day but some people feed every 2-3 days. You'll have to do some trial and error to figure out how often your axolotl wants to eat.
They're just normal worms but store bought. However, I'll definitely try to find some earthworms. Thank you very much!

vinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Where they go depends on the worm and your climate. I keep nightcrawlers at room temp but people do fridge them. See if you can find a care guide for the species of worm

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote